Gear doesn't matter

9 months 3 weeks ago #654492 by Sue Bidwell
I had some photographer start preaching to me today about how gear doesn't matter.  Then he went on and spent 30 minutes talking about how much dynamic range his camera had.  :rofl:

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 months 3 weeks ago #654497 by garyrhook
He's right: gear doesn't matter.... until there's something you want to do that requires technology to accomplish. But that doesn't make the two positions mutually exclusive.

Honestly, I think the whole "gear doesn't matter" is moderated by what you expect out of an image. And the mantra comes from a filmic era where you could get away with a lot of things because of the way film behaves (vs. digital).

But creating an interesting image is, fundamentally, about your vision and aesthetic.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook

9 months 3 weeks ago #654500 by Shadowfixer1
Gear doesn't matter until it does. Newer technology helps you make an image easier than it did back in the day. Like Gary said, it depends on what you are trying to do and if that one piece of gear will let you do it.

9 months 3 weeks ago #654612 by fmw
Obviously you can't make images without gear.  So that statements needs some modification.  I'm one of those who preaches practice over hardware. 

I'm an old photographer who has been shooting since the 1950's.  Over those years I learned a lot of photographic techniques which are now automated in digital cameras.  But those techniques can be used with a digital camera just as they did with film.  So the convenience features really aren't necessary for making good images.  They are convenient. 

In a macro sense, gear doesn't really matter.  The brand of your camera body is immaterial.  You don't get better images because of a brand name.  You can accomplish beautiful lighting without expensive artificial lights.  I takes more work.  It is inconvenient.  Tripods are the single best piece of gear for technically sharp images.  High ISO settings and  stabilization don't do as well as the tripod.  they are convenient.

We should all understand that a good photographer can make a good image with poor gear.  A poor photographer fails to make good images even with the best equipment.  I was always impressed by how well my golf pro could hit the ball with my clubs.  It wasn't the clubs.  It was his skill with them.  The same is true with photography.  It isn't the gear.  It is the skill, the vision, the technique.

I think most of the old timers will agree with me.  For the newbies I recommend working on the skill, the vision the technique.  Use whichever camera you have.  Any camera capable of controlling exposure will do.  You can fool around with gear after you know what you are doing.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shadowfixer1

9 months 3 weeks ago #654622 by Nikon Shooter
Gear will extend your skills and creativity
given they are there in the first place! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

9 months 3 weeks ago #654719 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Sue

Some good thoughts above too

Putting this into another context ...
If you need to do some 'bread & milk' shopping from home, does it matter whether your vehicle is a volkswagon beetle or a v8-mustang? Answer = 'no'

If you want to tow a boat to go fishing, which vehicle is better at that task?

It comes down t the old saying 'horses for courses' ~ the need for the right tools for the job

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

9 months 3 weeks ago #654788 by KCook
  • We should all understand that a good photographer can make a good image with poor gear.
Right.  But all you are really talking about is the outcome.  When it comes to the shooting experience, the gear can be a major factor.

gottahavefuntoo

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these basic landscape photography tips, you'll be able to plan and prepare your outings so you can start taking better photos.

Jun 03, 2020

The DJI Mavic 2 Pro is one of the best drones I've ever owned, and it's even better with these must-have Mavic 2 Pro accessories.

Jun 03, 2020

To shoot nude photography takes time, dedication, and practice. Get a few practical tips in this introduction to nude photography.

Jun 03, 2020

Variable ND filters aren't for everyone, but they do have many benefits for photographers. In this guide, learn about the pros of variable ND filters, the cons, the difference between variable ND filters and fixed ND filters, and more.

Jun 02, 2020

In this Olympus OM-D E-M1 II review, learn about the camera's specs and features, pros and cons, price, and much more.

Jun 02, 2020

In this ball head buying guide, learn about the specs and features of some of the top ball heads of 2020.

Jun 01, 2020

There are many different benefits of lens filters for photography. You can control exposure. You can also control glare. Get the scoop on other benefits in this guide.

Jun 01, 2020

There are many reasons why you should print on metal, including the durability and uniqueness of metal prints, as well as all the options you have for customizing your print.

May 29, 2020