Which photo mode are you using most?

1 month 1 week ago #654780 by Mason Latka
I'm mostly using A mode, and rarely touch Manual.  I don't see much need for it.  Do you find the need for using other modes? 

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 1 week ago #654784 by Nikon Shooter
Manual mode is all I use on all my bodies and for any job
may it be on location or in studio. I don't see much need
for anything else.

Working in Manual mode requires that you take all impor-
tant decisions and leave minor one to the OS. Everyone
may have a different way to define important and minor
depending on knowledge, skills and experience.

That is my way to work… everyone should explore the ways
that work best as it is a very personal thing.

Light is free… capturing it is not!

1 month 1 week ago #654787 by KCook
In my little home studio I mostly use manual. But outside I use Aperture priority and Program mode about equally, plus a little Shutter priority.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

1 month 1 week ago #654847 by Little Kate
I use M and A nearly all the time.  Manual most of the time for the most part.  However there are days where I'm using A mode the most.  

Photo Comments

1 month 1 week ago #654885 by garyrhook
Every time this question gets asked (and it does come up regularly) the answer seems to be 85% A, most of the rest Manual.

Since I generally like to ensure that my shutter speed remain at 1/160 or faster, and I prefer to control my aperture, I'd rather work in manual mode with Auto ISO and EC, or determine a fixed ISO. A mode doesn't really buy me anything.

But many, many folks, at all experience levels, use A.

Photo Comments

1 month 1 week ago #654907 by Uplander
:agree:  Aperture Priority is usually the preferred.  

Photo Comments

3 weeks 5 days ago #656644 by Jared-Weaver
Manual like 99.9% of the time and Bulb for my long exposures running over 30 seconds. 

Get to know manual mode and you'll get to know your camera and it's capabilities much better. Auto mode is always going to guess that you're shooting offhand and will select the values in your exposure triangle based on that. It doesn't understand rules like "sunny 16" or whether or not you need to overexpose for snow. It's just reading the light meter.

Manual and any of the priority modes help you shoot technically more correct. For instance- landscape photographers like to set their apeture for the sweet spot on their lens where they can get the sharpest exposure and then set ISO and shutter speed based on that. Often that's between F8 and F16. Auto mode doesn't know that. In the end though, it's up to you to decide how you're going to shoot a scene and getting away from Auto mode is one of the biggest steps. 

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

If you're looking for the best laptop for photo editing, you've come to the right place. From the best budget laptop to laptops over $2,000, these computers will fit any budget.

Sep 10, 2019

In this Canon EOS M6 Mark II review, learn about the essential specs, features, pros, and cons of Canon's newest mirrorless camera.

Sep 10, 2019

The Canon T7i is an entry-level camera with some excellent features that will help you learn and grow as a photographer. Find out if it's the right camera for you in this Canon T7i review.

Sep 09, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this gift guide, find inspiration for some of the best gifts for photographers under $1,000. From lights to camera bags, cameras to massive prints, you can find just about anything for the photographer on your list.

Sep 20, 2019

Looking to take your camera away from the crowds? Consider these off-the-beaten-path travel destinations for photographers as a great place to start!

Sep 20, 2019

Photo by Cristal Malek Photography Meet Cozette and Bordreaux. They're your typical parents, except they are French Bulldogs. But French Bulldogs enjoy the...

Sep 20, 2019

Video recording glasses have been around for awhile now, so they're nothing new. However, recent price drops have made them quite affordable. Check out the best video recording glasses on our list of budget-friendly options.

Sep 19, 2019

Camera sling bags are a top choice for photographers that want functionality, comfort, and ease of use. Here's our pick for the top 5 camera sling bags of 2019.

Sep 18, 2019

The Fujifilm X-A7 was recently announced as the successor to the X-A5. With some significant improvements, it might just be the best entry-level mirrorless camera on the market.

Sep 18, 2019

If your photo is flat and lacks much in the way of color and contrast, you can use these post-processing tips to add life to a flat photo.

Sep 17, 2019

Photo by Joe deSousa on Unsplash There are certain questionable tactics in the real estate game, like promising free pizzas for...

Sep 17, 2019