Must follow photographers

4 years 8 months ago #655154 by Kramz81
Hi everybody,
Im new to photography and forums so I wondering-who are some photographers to follow on social media.
Also what video do you guys recommend to watch on YouTube 
thanks

4 years 8 months ago #655159 by KCook
I follow a number of photographers on Facebook. But they are not well known outside of FB, so not likely what you're asking for.

ohwell

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 8 months ago #655267 by garyrhook
There are a number of notable figures from the last 40 years-ish, and they are easily googled. Many are dead now, so social media is not going to happen, and frankly, if you want to find the good ones, start out elsewhere. Once you locate one, you can see if they use social media.

The problem with social media is that a lot of good work gets ignored. What value are likes? Answer: zero value.

So do the hard work of looking around, or find a meetup and discuss with other photographers and get personal recommendations based on what you like.

You've provided no parameters here, which makes any suggestion worthless.

Your second question is unclear. Video for what?

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655272 by Shadowfixer1
It would help if you identified your area of interest. Do you prefer landscape, portrait, wedding, street photography or one of the many other genres available. I have about 60 different ones I follow. Give us a hint and we will help you out. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kramz81
4 years 8 months ago #655279 by Kramz81
I'm really into landscape and street photography. Those are two main area I really want to get into also

4 years 8 months ago #655284 by icepics
Look up famous photographers like Ansel Adams, Edward Weston, etc. For street photography look up Gary Winogrand, Eliot Erwitt, etc. Look for videos about those photographers. Likes on social media are mostly meaningless, people seem to like everything they see.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655287 by Kramz81
Black and White photography also

4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #655288 by Shadowfixer1
Here are a few to get you started
Landscape - Thomas Heaton, Nick Page, Mads Peter Iverson, Nigel Danson, Adam Gibbs, Andrew Marr, Brendan Van Son, Elia Locardi, Fototripper, Lynn Luxon-Jones.

Street- Evan Ranft, King Jvpes, Samuel L. Streetlife, Gareth Danks, Joel Meyerowitz, Sean Tucker, Olafphoto, Jay Maisel

There are many others but this is a start. YouTube is your best source.
4 years 8 months ago #655302 by KCook
I don't understand the fixation with "Likes"?  My posts hardly ever get likes, that doesn't keep me off Facebook.  The FB pages below are hardly "Must follow", just what I follow -

Black & White
     www.facebook.com/gilberto.pierosara

www.facebook.com/themonochromatic

Landscape
     www.facebook.com/afeinphoto

www.facebook.com/ArtWolfeInc

www.facebook.com/EnlightenedImages

www.facebook.com/gianni.monterzino

www.facebook.com/LarryLindahlPhotographer/

www.facebook.com/noechanarai

www.facebook.com/SeanParkerPhotography/

www.facebook.com/shainblumphoto/

Street photography
     www.facebook.com/bwgjiji
    (Koji Kajikawa)

www.facebook.com/MagnumPhotos

www.facebook.com/blog.mingthein

www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009335819081
    (Sacha Duvivier)

www.facebook.com/tetsuya.yokoo.96

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #655351 by Piechura
Rachael Talibart does mainly seascapes, and it also excellent for black and white.

Nigel Danson's youtube channel is very good for discussing the more artistic elements of landscape photography rather than the technical details.

Tony and Chelsea Northrup are very good for very technical stuff, but every week they also do a live show where they review pictures that people have sent in, which is quite useful for getting ideas about what makes a good photo and more importantly, what makes some photos not work. They tend to do a different genre or theme of photography each week and this week was actually street.

Faye Dunmall posts some excellent landscapes on Instagram.

Emmanuel Lubezki (the cinematographer for the Revenant, Birdman, Gravity, etc) has a fairly impressive Instagram account. Like his films, he seems to favour really wide angle stuff. Scroll down to his earlier posts for some really impressive candid portraits.

4 years 8 months ago #655762 by Steve Zahra

Kramz81 wrote: Hi everybody,
Im new to photography and forums so I wondering-who are some photographers to follow on social media.
thanks

What area of photography do you enjoy?  Also, this ties into both your questions, so knowing what area of interest would be helpful.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655769 by Shadowfixer1

Steve Zahra wrote:

Kramz81 wrote: Hi everybody,
thanks

What area of photography do you enjoy?  Also, this ties into both your questions, so knowing what area of interest would be helpful.  

If you had read the thread, you would know the answer.
4 years 8 months ago #655773 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: If you had read the thread, you would know the answer.

There's some comfort in knowing it's not just me.  :dry:

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655938 by Greg Friedman
Follow some of the greats like Ansel Adams.  You'll need a library card for that one.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024