Film camera for night photography, need recommendatios

4 years 7 months ago #658330 by SoftC3ll
Hi, I'am a total newbie so I need to ask you, experts :)

I fell in love with night photography, I like photos especially made in the cities with retro neons, gas stations, shops etc. For example:

As far as  I know one of the best films for that conditions is Cinestill 800t so I want to work with it, but the question is what kind/model of camera should I buy? I don't want to spend a lot of money as I am a beginner, just to start and learn. Is for example Canon Ae-1 a good option? I have Olympus Mju zoom 105, but I don't know that it will be good enough. What's the most important thing to take photos like these?

Thanks 

4 years 6 months ago #659627 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Mate

As one who has done heaps & heaps of after dark pics with my film cameras over a 30-40 yr period ... You do NOT need a special camera nor a specific type of film stock.

Good / Best results can be obtained from almost any film stock of 50-ISO to 400-ISO [though I have used film stock up to 1600-ISO when home processing] ... most good results are shot using any lens from 28mm to 200mm [film-camera lenses] and almost always with a tripod. Aperture use varies from F4 to F16 ~ again dependent upon subject brightness. Exposures also vary along with the subject brightness - from 1-second to 5-minutes.

With images like your #1, nearly always at -1EV exposure, to prevent the bright bits from blowing out and keeping the black bits nice and black. Wet evenings [like your #3] give beaut surface reflections - so these occasions are also beaut for after dark stuff

ps: please be caerful in posting other people's images, even if it for 'demonstration' purposes !!!

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 6 months ago #659630 by New but trying
If you're a beginner, I'd recommend a late-model automatic camera. Something like a Nikon N75. They're cheap and have both manual and automatic control, and they're very simple to use.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #659699 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day again

The above suggestion for a film camera might suit (I do not know the camera itself), =but=

in today's world of digital operations, you might also find that most 'reasonable' supersoom / bridge cameras will do the task quite competently.  I use Panasonic cameras, and on "A" or "P" auto-exposure metering will go down to 8-seconds, and on "M" manual will go down to 1-minute ... all quite okay for the type of pics you are showing us above

Hope this helps

4 years 6 months ago #659712 by KCook
  • Canon Ae-1 a good option?
As 35mm cameras go, yes.  Minolta, Olympus, and Pentax also offered affordable lenses.  My Olympus OM-2n happened to have a particularly sensitive meter for low light use.  But the light in the shots you posted is not all that low, any 35mm with a CdS type meter should be Ok for this.  Of course you could also pick up a separate, handheld CdS meter cheap, then any camera is fair game.  As long as it has a lens you like.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024