iPhone X Consistent Instagram

4 years 5 months ago #664681 by Ladas-Dimitri
Hi there,
i have Instagram for a while now and i just started a IG about fragrances. My problem is i can't get the pictures consistent. I find the pictures individually pleasing but i don't get that themed look.

This is how a shoot:
- I always take 2 pieces of paper in a L form
- I shoot just next to a big window to get a maximum of natural light
- I shoot with a iPhone X and with the main Camera App that comes with the phone

Now i know i probably get better result investing in some gear (flash lights, maybe a couple of softboxes, DSLR...) But my main goal here is to shoot and post easy and regularly. I d'on't mind going in too lightroom or in other apps.

Some images to illustrate what i mean. The firts pictures is my IG and the second one is a IG of a look i wish to achieve. Also my problem is that i shoot on a white background but sometimes it comes out grey, blue, darker white, super white. I can't seem to shoot something similar even tough it is taken the same day. The guy from the other IG told me he is shooting from  a smartphone wich is also a iPhone and just next to a big window he has in his appartement... so what am i doing wrong ?

Attachments:
4 years 5 months ago #664713 by garyrhook
Please don't post photographs from other people. It's not cool. You can link to IG posts just as easily.

Shoot RAW (you'll need an app) and learn to post-process (specifically, adjust white balance). Using artificial lighting will allow you to control the light consistently, which is also important.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664802 by Ladas-Dimitri
Hi there,
thank you for your reply. Sorry about the pictures i did not know it was a big deal as they are not pictures but just small thumbnails...(and what would be the difference between posting the picture here or linking the Instagram ?)

Getting back at our topic. There is a free app that is called VSCO and you can shoot raw files with it so as of now i'm using that. I also downloaded Lightroom on my iPhone. I can already see a small difference when tweaking my pictures. You are talking about artificial light, but i had a chat with the owner of the IG and he told me he is shooting with a smartphone and no artificial light. So how could he get that consistent look that i can't manage to achieve.

4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #664805 by garyrhook

Ladas-Dimitri wrote: thank you for your reply. Sorry about the pictures i did not know it was a big deal as they are not pictures but just small thumbnails...(and what would be the difference between posting the picture here or linking the Instagram ?)

Do you repost others' photos on IG without their permission?

I thought not. Same thing here. We don't use others' work without compensation or permission.

Getting back at our topic. There is a free app that is called VSCO and you can shoot raw files with it so as of now i'm using that. I also downloaded Lightroom on my iPhone. I can already see a small difference when tweaking my pictures. You are talking about artificial light, but i had a chat with the owner of the IG and he told me he is shooting with a smartphone and no artificial light. So how could he get that consistent look that i can't manage to achieve.

Aside from knowing exactly what time of day, and managing weather issues, I can't imagine. You'll have to ask. But there's an obvious consistency to the color and light so perhaps he's just gifted in that area?

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #664807 by Ladas-Dimitri

You'll have to ask. But there's an obvious consistency to the color and light so perhaps he's just gifted in that area?

i asked him. And he told me that he is using a smartphone, no artificial light, using a small white table next to his windows... and that's it... But i feel like he's not telling me everything. I tried different ways, at the same time each day, same settings , raw, lightroom, i just can't get it right. If someone els has a clue...

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024