How to photograph white snow landscapes?

4 years 4 months ago #665783 by Alfonso Camil
At the end of month we are heading to the  mountains.  I've been looking at how to photograph in snowy conditions.  Is the biggest thing you need to do is -1 exposure compensation? Is that it?

Is there any difference in how you meter your shots?

Thank you in advance for your help.  

Alfonso 

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #665786 by Nikon Shooter

Alfonso Camil wrote: Is the biggest thing you need to do is -1 exposure compensation? Is that it? Is there any difference in how you meter your shots? 

The difference is all in the EV compensation.

There is no rule but the difficulty is to read out by how much
the snow will trick the light meter and that may go from -3 to
+3 depending on the light condition and the surface covered
by the snow. 

More problematic in the acetate times, the whole thing is way
easier to master with the sensor technology.

In any case, protect the whites. Have a good time!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #665871 by Shadowfixer1

Alfonso Camil wrote: At the end of month we are heading to the  mountains.  I've been looking at how to photograph in snowy conditions.  Is the biggest thing you need to do is -1 exposure compensation? Is that it?

Is there any difference in how you meter your shots?

Thank you in advance for your help.  

Alfonso 

No difference in metering but your idea of exposure compensation for snow is completely backwards. The camera looks at a scene and tries to make it 18% gray. If snow is the overwhelming subject, the camera will give you 18% gray snow. If you do as you think and underexpose it by another stop then you will get a dark gray snow. All that leads us into knowing we need more exposure on bright objects whether snow, white wedding dresses or a white horse. You will need to use +1 to +2 exposure compensation depending on how bright the sun is. The brighter the scene, the more positive compensation is required. Here is one tip to remember and you won't go wrong. "Add bright to bright and add dark to dark." Hope this is helpful.
4 years 4 months ago #665872 by Shadowfixer1

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Alfonso Camil wrote: Is the biggest thing you need to do is -1 exposure compensation? Is that it? Is there any difference in how you meter your shots? 

The difference is all in the EV compensation.

There is no rule but the difficulty is to read out by how much
the snow will trick the light meter and that may go from -3 to
+3 depending on the light condition and the surface covered
by the snow. 

More problematic in the acetate times, the whole thing is way
easier to master with the sensor technology.

In any case, protect the whites. Have a good time!

I have never seen a snow scene that requires negative compensation. Ever.
4 years 4 months ago #665928 by Nikon Shooter
In all cases with snow scenes, the histogram is one's best friend.

There is a point where the presence of snow may be read in direc-
tion or the other by the light meter. This will depend on the amount
of snow in the scene and its position in the frame.

The "relativity" I purposely included in my reply was meant to bring
the attention to the fact that there is no rule but guide line and one
can be assisted by the histogram.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #665955 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Alfonso

There are 3 very common scenes which fool the camera's exposure system just about ALL the time ... 1) lots of snow - 2) lots of sand and 3) bright cloudy overcast days

In all the above the exposure system sees the "huge" brightness (after all it's making us squint too) and says "geez, I've gotta darken this scene to make it better to view" and so the camera under-exposes the scene

The trick - as evidenced via the histogram - is to OVERexpose. It does not seem logical, but it is needed

Every time I am shooting in any of the above 3 situations I immediately go to +2/3EV and use that as my baseline - I may then ADD more if the histogram suggests it's needed

Here's a sample pic from a similar thread

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/  

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Attachments:
4 years 4 months ago #665958 by Nikon Shooter

Ozzie_Traveller wrote: The trick - as evidenced via the histogram - is to OVERexpose. It does not seem logical, but it is needed. 

Yes, but the counter intuitive factor I rather explain my
students by it is like putting shades on the light meter.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #666329 by F Anderson
Reminds me, are you all shooting with histogram always shown? 

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #666637 by michaelsmith
Agreed with everyone here!
Meanwhile, check out these links from Photography Life  and Outdoor Photographer .

4 years 4 months ago #666638 by Nikon Shooter
YES!

The histogram being one's best friend.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #667162 by clippingphotoexperts
When Moose Peterson starts talking about photographing winter landscapes, you tend to pay attention. In fact, if you're like us, you take notes. As a renowned nature and wildlife photographer, Moose brings experience and expertise to the subject. He also brings an appreciation of the beauty of the winter world and a realization of its challenges.
Because we were taking notes, we can share his tips with you.
1. White Out
2. Contrast
3. Color
4. Comfort Zone
5. Gear Protection

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024