Micro SD vs SD memory card

4 years 4 months ago #668003 by Alfonso Camil
I was over at Best Buy today to get a memory card and all they had were micro SD cards with adapters.  The guy at the counter told me this would be the same as a SD card.  Before I open this thing, I want to check and make sure with you all.  Are these these same?  

Thank you

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #668018 by Nikon Shooter
Pretty much the same features and performance but why
bother with micro + adapter if a SD would do? Go simple!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baydream
4 years 4 months ago #668137 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Alfonso

Any electrician (Sparky by another name) will tell you that "the more joins & connectors you have in a circuit, the more chance of voltage drop or failure" With your photo stuff, you want hi-quality image / data transfer at all times, and this is adding one extra / unwanted connector into the mix

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 4 months ago #668470 by Karen Comella
But it's another point to break.  Stick with the SD card.

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #670883 by Jackson Rieger
It will work.  However I always prefer to use the single SD card as it's one less thing to potentially go wrong.  

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #671038 by ThatNikonGuy
Stick with the full size cards when you can. 

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #677046 by Lynnb
I have both on my D850 which I purchased over a year ago,  I’m using 128 gb cards; one is a micro, and I also use a 64 gb standard SD card, in addition to an XQD card.  

haven’t had any issues until yesterday.._ 

I went to download to my iPad using the cable supplied with my camera, and the iPad said there were no pictures, although  I could see them on the camera.  I next pulled the SD card and tried to use the card reader to put them in the iPad with no results.

syrprisingly, for well over a year, no problems, and now it doesn’t work.

Hopefully somebody here has a suggestion..
thanks

4 years 1 month ago #677047 by Lynnb
I’ve had no issues.  You need to get an adapter though, but otherwise fine.

4 years 1 month ago #677074 by garyrhook
What happens on a real computer?

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #677108 by Ozzie_Traveller

garyrhook wrote: What happens on a real computer?

+1 ... but will the iPad allow another device to physically link or must it be a WiFi link?

ps- Gary- I have PMd you as well

4 years 1 month ago #677118 by garyrhook

Ozzie_Traveller wrote:

garyrhook wrote: What happens on a real computer?

+1 ... but will the iPad allow another device to physically link or must it be a WiFi link?

ps- Gary- I have PMd you as well

Sorry, I was replying to the thread hijacker. My mistake.

I've been unable to find a way to transfer files onto an iPad from an SD card, so I'm not at all understanding what the hijacker is saying. Nor do I try to connect my cameras to the iPad. Thus my question: take the cards and plug them into a real computer. What happens?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024