In camera image ratio question

3 months 3 weeks ago #675107 by Chase Audate
Hey guys how many of you use the in camera image ratio 1:1 or 16:9 rather than the standard 3:2 ratio?

Under what circumstances do you change these? 

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 months 3 weeks ago #675110 by Nikon Shooter
Possibly a choice left to jpg shooters.

I only go for the standard 2:3 and the rest is evaluated
once in the converter.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

3 months 3 weeks ago #675120 by Shadowfixer1
I always use the full sensor and crop later if needed. I NEVER change aspect ratio in camera.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook

3 months 3 weeks ago #675190 by garyrhook
I don't, because I prefer to get everything possible when shooting, and decide later. But I know of folks that will use the in-camera guides, yes.

Do whatever works for you.

Photo Comments

3 months 3 weeks ago #675222 by Shadowfixer1
I would just like to clarify one thing. If you want to change the aspect in camera and use it for a guide, that's fine in my opinion if you shoot RAW. Shooting RAW will give you the full sensor read out no matter ratio is picked. JPG is a different story. You are stuck with the aspect ratio picked. Just wanted to add this bit in case some didn't know how it works.

3 months 2 weeks ago #675478 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Chase

For me - as I print 8" x 12" prints regularly, I shoot at 3:2 format all the time - yes in JPG format. I utilise the zoom lens to the best that I can to frame the subject completely to minimise any cropping needed later on

Sometimes I crop to 16:9 format when I am inserting images into a slideshow when I am out addressing a meeting of some sort and using images in the talk ~ but mostly I leave them as 3:2 format and have some white space around the image as it appears on the screen or TV unit whatever the meeting venue has on the wall

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 months 2 weeks ago #675479 by Nikon Shooter
My D850 natively offers crops but I wouldn't
even think a second using them.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

In the Fujifilm X-T2 vs Fujifulm X-T3 battle, which one comes out on top? These cameras are evenly matched, yet have distinct advantages all their own.

May 05, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

There are plenty of items photographers need, including office equipment that improves your workflow, the functionality of your space, and makes you more comfortable.

May 26, 2020

What is a graduated ND filter? Do you know how to use a graduated ND filter? If not, check out this landscape photography tutorial!

May 21, 2020

My favorite drone is the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. But after spending the last few weeks playing with the Mavic Air 2, I've come to the conclusion that it's the best drone you can buy for less than $1,000.

May 21, 2020

There are more ways to carry camera gear than the strap that came with your camera. Give one of these beautiful, well-made, comfortable options a try.

May 20, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Offering your clients a high-quality photo album is a great idea. Offering them bespoke photo album add-ons is an even better option!

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

In this Snaptiles vs Mixtiles comparison, learn which photo tile is better from a build quality standpoint and ease of use.

May 19, 2020