Overall lens length differences

4 years 2 months ago #676454 by Alfonso Camil
I think I might have a interesting question for you and I'll do my best to explain.  I was wondering how does the overall physical length of a lens impact the focal length?  

Does it have any impact on it?  Let's say you compare a 35mm prime lens to a 18-200mm.  And if the 18-200mm is set to 35mm, does having a longer lens tube like the 18-200mm reduce how much light is needed?  

I hope this makes sense.   

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676458 by Nikon Shooter

Alfonso Camil wrote: … how does the overall physical length of a lens impact the focal length?

There was a time when a direct correlation was consequent
but no more since many decades. 

Alfonso Camil wrote: …compare a 35mm prime lens to a 18-200mm. And if the 18-200mm is set to 35mm, does having a longer lens tube like the 18-200mm reduce how much light is needed?

If set at 35mm, the zoom will render the same image than the
35mm prime but will need more light to do so… like you said,
because of the longer tube.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brachenland
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #676482 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Alfonso

Geez mate - it's been over 50 years since I did Photographic Optics as part of my tertiary studies :(

Originally, all "big" lenses were regarded as 'long' lenses. ie: a 400mm lens was 400mm long, until post-war maths allowed better designs and glass compounds, when the industry was able to shorten the physical length via better optics. With the telephoto design of lenses a 400mm lens became around 300mm long ~ and we loosely refer to all lenses today as being a telephoto lens without realising what it really refers to

As to the Aperture and its possible variability during zoom operations, I do not think that it is an issue. For example - someone using a 100mm macro set to F11 should have the same image brightness as the user of a 70-200 zoom at the 100mm setting and also using F11

If this were not the case, the outcry from users world-wide would kill off zoom lenses ~ surely?

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
4 years 2 months ago #676491 by garyrhook
If a lens is designed to function at a given focal length and a given aperture (keeping the lens mount the same for comparison, of course), then that will produce the same image as any other lens with the same focal length and aperture.

The physical changes to the lens body would be necessary to accomplish the above. That's a given for the lens design.

Also: look up "telephoto". The term means that the lens is physically shorter than the focal length. At least, if Wikipedia is to be believed. 

To answer your question, the 18-200 would probably need more light than the prime. An 18-200 is kinda fat, whereas a fast 35mm prime is pretty short and small.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676499 by Alfonso Camil
Super awesome, tons of thought here for me.  Going to take your advice and look up these items!

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #676582 by fmw
Focal length is an optical measurement.  It is the distance from where the light begins to converge at the front element to the focal point.  This is true despite the lens design or the tube in which the lens elements are assembled.  As an example, a catadioptric or mirror lens will be physically shorter than, say, a normal telephoto of exactly the same focal length.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024