What filters do you use the most with your photography?

2 months 4 weeks ago #677608 by Travis Brunson
Aside from a polarized filter, which do you use the most?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 4 weeks ago #677613 by Nikon Shooter
Both on location and in studio, a vario ND.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

2 months 4 weeks ago #677621 by Patrick G
Polarized, 6 and 10 stop ND, and 3 stop graduated ND

Photo Comments

2 months 4 weeks ago #677655 by Pete Franko
Polarized filter, 3,6, and 9 stop solid ND, 3 stop soft edge nd

Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #677677 by Alvin Pignotti

Pete Franko wrote: Polarized filter, 3,6, and 9 stop solid ND, 3 stop soft edge nd

+1 just add reverse grade on my list too

2 months 3 weeks ago #677721 by Overread
:agree: with the last two and add a variable ND to the mix

Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #677769 by Sharna Lee
Sold ND 3 and 9, and polarized filter

Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #677812 by BrokenCanon
I've acquired 2 types of space age plastic/resin which was never intended to be used as filters. But I've been using one them religiously over this last year. I was given 2 sample sheets of Yellow & a tinted coated material/plastics to use as filters for my setup. Again the yellow filter has been working very well and I can't wait till spring to start testing the tinted plastic materiel. According to my material source, this is a coated tinted plastic/resin that's suppose to offer a fixed 35% - 45% polarization effect without the use of rotating any rings with most CPL filters. just holding this material in the sunlight at the horizon, I can tell I'm going to be in for a big surprise when I actually start testing this setup.
So to answer you question: I'm currently use 2 filters, both space age materials but with different outcomes or effects as apparent with 2 images in my profile. 

Photo Comments

2 months 2 weeks ago #678550 by Zach Mosher
Have you found the resin ones scratch a lot?  I've stayed away from resin filters in fear that they would scratch so easily.   

Photo Comments

2 months 2 weeks ago #678898 by Kenya See
3 stop, 6 stop and 10 stop ND filters, polarized filter and soft edge ND

Photo Comments

2 months 2 weeks ago #678956 by Uplander
:agree:  Same here

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #679061 by KCook
I rarely use any filter. Gave up on polarizers years ago. Once in a great while I will use a simple (not grad) ND 0.9

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

2 months 1 week ago #679066 by BrokenCanon

Zach Mosher wrote: Have you found the resin ones scratch a lot?  I've stayed away from resin filters in fear that they would scratch so easily.   

Zach this all depends on how careful one is when using them. As of yet, I've not scratched any of these filters, but doesn't mean it wont happen.

Also, because these are my own created filter I've added a touch point for orientation and some where to hold when placing in the Cokin mount. Filter manufactures want you to hold the sides, where as with my extended design, you can firmly hold from the top and not touch the sides. It's going to be interesting to see this spring when I start using these filters what their outcome will be.

I'll be looking to sell the Polarization filter to anyone who's already using the cokin system on their cameras. I'll create a thread when the time is right.

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #679096 by Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter wrote: Both on location and in studio, a vario ND.

… and, of course, a CP!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #679519 by Crammer
CP is the one I use the most.  90% of the time.  That and 6 stop ND.

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

In the Fujifilm X-T2 vs Fujifulm X-T3 battle, which one comes out on top? These cameras are evenly matched, yet have distinct advantages all their own.

May 05, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

There are plenty of items photographers need, including office equipment that improves your workflow, the functionality of your space, and makes you more comfortable.

May 26, 2020

What is a graduated ND filter? Do you know how to use a graduated ND filter? If not, check out this landscape photography tutorial!

May 21, 2020

My favorite drone is the DJI Mavic 2 Pro. But after spending the last few weeks playing with the Mavic Air 2, I've come to the conclusion that it's the best drone you can buy for less than $1,000.

May 21, 2020

There are more ways to carry camera gear than the strap that came with your camera. Give one of these beautiful, well-made, comfortable options a try.

May 20, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Offering your clients a high-quality photo album is a great idea. Offering them bespoke photo album add-ons is an even better option!

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

In this Snaptiles vs Mixtiles comparison, learn which photo tile is better from a build quality standpoint and ease of use.

May 19, 2020