What filters do you use the most with your photography?

4 years 1 month ago #677608 by Travis Brunson
Aside from a polarized filter, which do you use the most?

4 years 1 month ago #677613 by Nikon Shooter
Both on location and in studio, a vario ND.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #677621 by Patrick G
Polarized, 6 and 10 stop ND, and 3 stop graduated ND

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #677655 by Pete Franko
Polarized filter, 3,6, and 9 stop solid ND, 3 stop soft edge nd

Photo Comments
4 years 3 weeks ago #677677 by Alvin Pignotti

Pete Franko wrote: Polarized filter, 3,6, and 9 stop solid ND, 3 stop soft edge nd

+1 just add reverse grade on my list too

4 years 3 weeks ago #677721 by Overread
:agree: with the last two and add a variable ND to the mix

Photo Comments
4 years 3 weeks ago #677769 by Sharna Lee
Sold ND 3 and 9, and polarized filter

Photo Comments
4 years 3 weeks ago #677812 by Brachenland
I've acquired 2 types of space age plastic/resin which was never intended to be used as filters. But I've been using one them religiously over this last year. I was given 2 sample sheets of Yellow & a tinted coated material/plastics to use as filters for my setup. Again the yellow filter has been working very well and I can't wait till spring to start testing the tinted plastic materiel. According to my material source, this is a coated tinted plastic/resin that's suppose to offer a fixed 35% - 45% polarization effect without the use of rotating any rings with most CPL filters. just holding this material in the sunlight at the horizon, I can tell I'm going to be in for a big surprise when I actually start testing this setup.
So to answer you question: I'm currently use 2 filters, both space age materials but with different outcomes or effects as apparent with 2 images in my profile. 

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #678550 by Zach Mosher
Have you found the resin ones scratch a lot?  I've stayed away from resin filters in fear that they would scratch so easily.   

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #678898 by Kenya See
3 stop, 6 stop and 10 stop ND filters, polarized filter and soft edge ND

Photo Comments
4 years 2 weeks ago #678956 by Uplander
:agree:  Same here

Photo Comments
4 years 1 week ago #679061 by KCook
I rarely use any filter. Gave up on polarizers years ago. Once in a great while I will use a simple (not grad) ND 0.9

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

4 years 1 week ago #679066 by Brachenland

Zach Mosher wrote: Have you found the resin ones scratch a lot?  I've stayed away from resin filters in fear that they would scratch so easily.   

Zach this all depends on how careful one is when using them. As of yet, I've not scratched any of these filters, but doesn't mean it wont happen.

Also, because these are my own created filter I've added a touch point for orientation and some where to hold when placing in the Cokin mount. Filter manufactures want you to hold the sides, where as with my extended design, you can firmly hold from the top and not touch the sides. It's going to be interesting to see this spring when I start using these filters what their outcome will be.

I'll be looking to sell the Polarization filter to anyone who's already using the cokin system on their cameras. I'll create a thread when the time is right.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 week ago #679096 by Nikon Shooter

Nikon Shooter wrote: Both on location and in studio, a vario ND.

… and, of course, a CP!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 1 week ago #679519 by Crammer
CP is the one I use the most.  90% of the time.  That and 6 stop ND.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024