What is the most popular aspect ratio 16:9 or 4:3

2 weeks 3 days ago #679124 by TGonzo
Which aspect ratio are you using most of the time?  If you alter that, what for?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 weeks 3 days ago - 2 weeks 3 days ago #679129 by Nikon Shooter
I work a lot for the publishing industry and they like
to do what they want. To get together, I keep the ar-
bitrary for horizontal frames but I give them 2x3 or
4x5 for vertical crops.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

2 weeks 2 days ago #679164 by garyrhook
Not sure why "popular" would be relevant in any way.

What matters (arguably) is
  • your aesthetics
  • what the image wants
  • usage
Then there's what the camera produces. SLR/DSLRs produce 3:2 images; micro 4/3 produce 4:3 images. And so on. Many folks leave that alone.

That said, 16:9 for an image is generally not used. That's almost 2:1, which is fairly uncommon. Except for screen backgrounds.

Photo Comments

2 weeks 2 days ago #679179 by TGonzo
Thanks for commenting, I was just reading about aspect ratios and curious what others are using.  

Photo Comments

2 weeks 1 day ago #679387 by Tim Giertz
I never play with the aspect ratio. Hell, my camera is set up just like default.  

2 weeks 1 day ago #679396 by garyrhook

TGonzo wrote: Thanks for commenting, I was just reading about aspect ratios and curious what others are using.  

Understood. My 2nd bullet, above, is the point that matters for those that are not averse to cropping. At least in the discussions I've been involved in on this subject.

Photo Comments

2 weeks 1 day ago #679400 by pixelster
The two most common aspect ratios are 4:3, also known as 1.33:1 or fullscreen, and 16:9, also known as 1.78:1 or widescreen. (Larger aspect ratio formats are used in the motion picture industry.) All the older TV's and computer monitors you grew up with had the squarish 4:3 shape-- 33 percent wider than it was high

1 week 4 hours ago #680337 by Steve Zahra
This is so important above all else: "what the image wants"

Good tip Gary

Photo Comments

1 week 3 hours ago #680338 by Piechura
16:9 and 4:3 are mainly video aspect ratios. 3:2 is more common for photography.

What is common in all of them is that they are determined by technology. People say it depends on the image, but in most cases, people let the technology dictate. 4:5 is extremely popular now because Instagram uses it, for example. Although for Instagram stories, you switch back to 16:9. Print in anything other than 3:2 and you might have to buy a specially-made frame, so most people don't bother, because it's easier to go to Ikea.

6 days 20 hours ago #680363 by garyrhook

Piechura wrote: 16:9 and 4:3 are mainly video aspect ratios. 3:2 is more common for photography.

What is common in all of them is that they are determined by technology. People say it depends on the image, but in most cases, people let the technology dictate. 4:5 is extremely popular now because Instagram uses it, for example. Although for Instagram stories, you switch back to 16:9. Print in anything other than 3:2 and you might have to buy a specially-made frame, so most people don't bother, because it's easier to go to Ikea.

I think we have a some young folks here, with no knowledge of ancient history.

Fact: a 3x2 aspect ratio for prints is historically rare. Even though 35mm cameras (film) is 3x2, prints have, for a very long time, been typically

3.5x5 (as best I can recall from my youth)
5x7
8x10
9x13
11x14

4x6 got added along the way, but that was only about 30-odd years ago, IIRC.

16x9 is relatively recent, and applies to video. Not prints. As stated above.

Please, go to Hobby Lobby and look for frames with a 3x2 aspect ratio. You'll have trouble finding a variety of sizes. Everything except 3x2 is readily available.

Finally, IG has contraints based on orientation. It's not possible to post a 3x2 portrait without it getting cropped. Go ahead, try it.

Photo Comments

6 days 11 hours ago #680413 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

Gary - you are quite correct with your listing of formats - and some from 100 years ago

I was using 4" x 5" sheet film back in the 1960s - and it's where the 8" x 10" and 16" x 20" print formats came from.

With Oscar Barnack devising the Leica 35mm camera back in the 1920s, it started the 2:3 format that continued through all 35mm film and gave us the 4" x 6" prints of the 60s thru to the 90s. This morphs into the 20" x 30" poster prints we see on many lounge room walls

Other formats - 4:3 and 16:9 are modern formats coming from computer screens and TV screens

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

6 days 5 hours ago #680426 by bijutoha
I am very tired of images in the vertical format. I use many different aspect-ratios. I would like to shot everything in horizontal (sometimes) and cropped to 16:9 cuz it looked the best on the computer. Sounds crazy huh! I think the best solution is to shoot with a high resolution! And leave a lot of negative space around the subject! 

A graphic designer. I do, photo post-processing
Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7S II might be almost five years old, but as you'll see in this Sony a7S II review, it still packs a mighty punch with a small price tag.

Mar 23, 2020

In this Nikon D780 review, learn about the D780's features, specs, video capabilities, and more. Also learn how to score a discounted price on a D780 and how you can extend your gear budget!

Mar 13, 2020

In the Sony a6000 vs Sony a6100 battle, which one comes out on top? One offers a lower price tag while the other has more updated features. Find out which camera is best for you in this buyer's guide.

Mar 13, 2020

The Canon EOS RP is an entry-level camera that has some excellent features. In this Canon EOS RP review, learn all about its pros, cons, features, price, and more!

Mar 03, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

If you're in need of some good reads during the pandemic, give this list of the best photography books a try. Each one is an Amazon best selling photography book!

Apr 01, 2020

Believing these photography myths can get you in a lot of trouble. Instead, use these photography tips and techniques to prepare yourself to build a better business.

Apr 01, 2020

To protect your camera gear (and your monetary investment), there are a few things you need to do. One of them is to use a bag that will protect your camera gear from breakage.

Mar 31, 2020

To make money in real estate photography, you need to take steps to ensure your prices can support your real estate photography business. Learn how to do that in this guide.

Mar 30, 2020

If you're currently under lockdown due to the COVID-19 virus and can't get out to take nature and wildlife photos, there are many things you can do to get your photos and gear organized.

Mar 30, 2020

For many Realtors, DIY real estate photography is necessary because they can't access or afford professional real estate photography services. Get some quick photography tips for Realtors in this guide.

Mar 27, 2020

If you're looking for cheap laptops under $500, look no further than this list of some of the best laptops 2020 has to offer. In many cases, these inexpensive laptops are well under $200!

Mar 27, 2020

You want to invest in camera gear that will give you long-lasting performance. The photography gear on this list fits the bill to a tee!

Mar 27, 2020