What is the most popular aspect ratio 16:9 or 4:3

4 years 1 week ago #679124 by TGonzo
Which aspect ratio are you using most of the time?  If you alter that, what for?

Photo Comments
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #679129 by Nikon Shooter
I work a lot for the publishing industry and they like
to do what they want. To get together, I keep the ar-
bitrary for horizontal frames but I give them 2x3 or
4x5 for vertical crops.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 1 week ago #679164 by garyrhook
Not sure why "popular" would be relevant in any way.

What matters (arguably) is
  • your aesthetics
  • what the image wants
  • usage
Then there's what the camera produces. SLR/DSLRs produce 3:2 images; micro 4/3 produce 4:3 images. And so on. Many folks leave that alone.

That said, 16:9 for an image is generally not used. That's almost 2:1, which is fairly uncommon. Except for screen backgrounds.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 week ago #679179 by TGonzo
Thanks for commenting, I was just reading about aspect ratios and curious what others are using.  

Photo Comments
4 years 1 week ago #679387 by Tim Giertz
I never play with the aspect ratio. Hell, my camera is set up just like default.  

4 years 1 week ago #679396 by garyrhook

TGonzo wrote: Thanks for commenting, I was just reading about aspect ratios and curious what others are using.  

Understood. My 2nd bullet, above, is the point that matters for those that are not averse to cropping. At least in the discussions I've been involved in on this subject.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 week ago #679400 by clippingphotoexperts
The two most common aspect ratios are 4:3, also known as 1.33:1 or fullscreen, and 16:9, also known as 1.78:1 or widescreen. (Larger aspect ratio formats are used in the motion picture industry.) All the older TV's and computer monitors you grew up with had the squarish 4:3 shape-- 33 percent wider than it was high

The following user(s) said Thank You: simexseo
4 years 2 days ago #680337 by Steve Zahra
This is so important above all else: "what the image wants"

Good tip Gary

Photo Comments
4 years 2 days ago #680338 by Piechura
16:9 and 4:3 are mainly video aspect ratios. 3:2 is more common for photography.

What is common in all of them is that they are determined by technology. People say it depends on the image, but in most cases, people let the technology dictate. 4:5 is extremely popular now because Instagram uses it, for example. Although for Instagram stories, you switch back to 16:9. Print in anything other than 3:2 and you might have to buy a specially-made frame, so most people don't bother, because it's easier to go to Ikea.

4 years 2 days ago #680363 by garyrhook

Piechura wrote: 16:9 and 4:3 are mainly video aspect ratios. 3:2 is more common for photography.

What is common in all of them is that they are determined by technology. People say it depends on the image, but in most cases, people let the technology dictate. 4:5 is extremely popular now because Instagram uses it, for example. Although for Instagram stories, you switch back to 16:9. Print in anything other than 3:2 and you might have to buy a specially-made frame, so most people don't bother, because it's easier to go to Ikea.

I think we have a some young folks here, with no knowledge of ancient history.

Fact: a 3x2 aspect ratio for prints is historically rare. Even though 35mm cameras (film) is 3x2, prints have, for a very long time, been typically

3.5x5 (as best I can recall from my youth)
5x7
8x10
9x13
11x14

4x6 got added along the way, but that was only about 30-odd years ago, IIRC.

16x9 is relatively recent, and applies to video. Not prints. As stated above.

Please, go to Hobby Lobby and look for frames with a 3x2 aspect ratio. You'll have trouble finding a variety of sizes. Everything except 3x2 is readily available.

Finally, IG has contraints based on orientation. It's not possible to post a 3x2 portrait without it getting cropped. Go ahead, try it.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 day ago #680413 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day all

Gary - you are quite correct with your listing of formats - and some from 100 years ago

I was using 4" x 5" sheet film back in the 1960s - and it's where the 8" x 10" and 16" x 20" print formats came from.

With Oscar Barnack devising the Leica 35mm camera back in the 1920s, it started the 2:3 format that continued through all 35mm film and gave us the 4" x 6" prints of the 60s thru to the 90s. This morphs into the 20" x 30" poster prints we see on many lounge room walls

Other formats - 4:3 and 16:9 are modern formats coming from computer screens and TV screens

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024