How do they measure FPS?

3 years 11 months ago #683122 by Photo Amigo
When they measure FPS, would you happen to know which ISO, Shutter and aperture do they use?  Or better yet, how do they determine which to use?  I have searched online and can't seem to find a clear answer on this.  

3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #683124 by Nikon Shooter

Photo Amigo wrote: … would you happen to know which ISO, Shutter and aperture do they use? 1  
… how do they determine which to use? 2 

It is possible, with an experienced eye, to "estimate" used values.

* Aperture may be guessed approximately — when the distance to sub-
   ject is known — by considering the DoF.
* SS may be guessed approximately — when the subject is known — by
  considering the amount of movement blur in given situations.
* ISO may be guessed approximately  by considering the structure of an
  image at a known print size.

None of these guesses will be more than what they are: guesses.

FPS is cycle dependant: from the trigger through the whole automated
cycle until ready to repeat the said cycle. A body has a maximum FPS rate
and it may be slowed down by slower SS. A power surge or peak graph, for
example, can illustrate how many cycles were repeated in a defined period
of time. 

With the mentioned tool, this method is not a guess anymore.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683125 by garyrhook
It's a mechanical/electrical issue, and has nothing to do with those settings.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683427 by fmw
To respond to your initial question.  FPS or frames per second was simply a count of the frames of motion picture film exposed every second.  In the DSLR world it would be the number of shutter actuations per second.  The measurement has nothing to do with exposure.  The higher the FPS, the smoother the motion.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683428 by Shadowfixer1
I think what the OP was getting at is what settings they use because it would matter to some extent. They couldn't pick a slow shutter speed and test the frame rate. The setting they use to test the shutter comes down to common sense. If they used it in the camera then any setting that would give you a shutter speed faster than what the shutter is capable of producing frame rate wise would be acceptable. I suspect they test them out of the camera and have a continuous charge to activate the shutter and they just count how many times it goes off in a second. Probably more complicated than that but it's probably the general idea.
3 years 11 months ago #683494 by Photo Amigo
Yes that is correct, there must be some sort of uniform settings they use to determine the FPS, anyone know it?

3 years 11 months ago #683523 by Shadowfixer1

Photo Amigo wrote: Yes that is correct, there must be some sort of uniform settings they use to determine the FPS, anyone know it?

No. You're missing the point. Read my next to last sentence. It would be tripped as fast as it was possible to do with an electrical signal. That would be at the maximum shutter speed of that particular shutter. If it would do 1/8000 second max. that is what they would use. If it will only do 1/2000 second max. that is what they would use. Look that number up for the camera you are interested in and that will tell you the speed used. Aperture and ISO are not relevant since obtaining a proper exposure is not the goal. Set your camera to shutter priority or manual, set max shutter speed and fire away.  
3 years 11 months ago #683527 by Photo Amigo
OHHHHH, I get it.  Sorry, it was late when I read your post and I misunderstood.  I get it now.  Interesting.  OK, well that solves that in my head!

So it's based on the max shutter speed for that camera, got it.  But do all shutters close that same speed making the scale universal across the board/models of cameras?  

3 years 11 months ago #683544 by garyrhook

Photo Amigo wrote: OHHHHH, I get it.  Sorry, it was late when I read your post and I misunderstood.  I get it now.  Interesting.  OK, well that solves that in my head!

So it's based on the max shutter speed for that camera, got it.  But do all shutters close that same speed making the scale universal across the board/models of cameras?  

No, but that's irrelevant. Each camera will do what it can do. Constraints are specific to each camera, and may vary. Frames per second is a metric that is  common across the board because it's abstract: what is the maximum number of images this camera capture in one second? The only dependency is the shutter mechanism, which needs to be faster than, e.g., 1/10s for 10 FPS.

You also need to consider the possibility that the FPS is constrained by model. A manufacturer may not want the low-end consumer DSLR capturing images at the same rate as the flagship product.

There is no universal scale. "Frames per second" is an abstraction. The time it takes to capture a frame depends upon the camera, and is what it is. Why do you think there has to be some commonality?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024