Labeling your lenses for Crop Factor?

3 years 10 months ago #684326 by Alfonso Camil
Nikon has 1.5x crop right?  

Which means my:

50mm  = 75mm 
18-200mm = 27-300mm
12-24mm = 18-36mm

Will you actually label your lenses with the FOV with the crop of 1.5x?  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #684328 by Nikon Shooter

Alfonso Camil wrote: Which means my:

50mm  = 75mm 
18-200mm = 27-300mm
12-24mm = 18-36mm

Not so, Alfonso. The focal length of any lens stays what it is
for ever, what ever the sensor. The only thing that will be re-
corded is, like you say, the FoV. So applying a different desig-
nation will not serve you or change anything.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #684337 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Alfonso

My 100% would be to forget about crop factors and such - just accept the overall performance / the "what does it show me" bit with each lens and enjoy your images from there

You will know when you need something "wider" - or "longer"  :)

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 10 months ago #684364 by Peter P
+1 Agree.  FOV is the only thing that is different with the crop sensor camera.  

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #684370 by Alfonso Camil
Then why are so many referencing different focal lengths for APS-C cameras?  I'm so confused.  

Seems like a loose term by some.  I see what you mean.  Thank you.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #684373 by garyrhook

Alfonso Camil wrote: Then why are so many referencing different focal lengths for APS-C cameras?  I'm so confused.

This idiocy was started by the manufacturers, because in their "infinite wisdom" they thought that people needed a reference point. And for some reason they thought that their target market would use a 35mm camera as that reference point.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Turns out most folks didn't/don't have the experience necessary to know what a FoV on, or geometry of, a 50mm lens looks like, and how that might change on a body with a sensor of a different size.

We won't even talk about the fact the FoV is irrelevant, too, to the geometry of what a lens does. The FoV is about how much of the image can be captured on the sensor. 

So, there are still people that seem to think the crop factor matters, and that it can change the physical characteristic of focal length. Which it cannot.

It is impossible to fully, accurately recreate the shot specifics from one sensor size on another sensor size. The math and physics do not allow. Therefore, stop worrying about it.

If you want a 50mm lens, get a 50mm lens. The geometry of the shot will be the same, no matter what, but the rendered image size won't.

In short: use the lens you like/need.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #684439 by Shadowfixer1
I shot so long with full frame 35mm that I always reference everything to that system. If I adjust the lens focal lengths in my head for the crop factor, I know what I need to do what I want. Is it foolish? Maybe but that is how I think and see things. I use 35mm full frame as the standard and other people do as well because that was the standard for many, many years before we began dealing with crop sensors. The direction that manufacturers are going now is making the 35mm standard prevalent again. My take is convert it if you feel that way and don't convert the focal lengths if you don't care. No harm, no foul either way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook
3 years 10 months ago #684440 by Nikon Shooter

Alfonso Camil wrote: Then why are so many referencing different focal lengths for APS-C cameras?  I'm so confused.

Some years ago, I witness a sales person in a camera store that
was facing a customer who did not have the means to pay for
a FF body.

An alternative was brought up: a cheaper body set — with lens —
that permits longer reach to the user thanks the crop factor. The
sale argument hit the target and the cash went over the counter.

Some sales people are so ignorant — but clever to pass os their
ignorence to gobbling believers.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #684490 by Toby J
Yep, it's like the pitch for UV filters.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #684723 by Alfonso Camil
OK, I understand now.  Thank you everyone.  :)

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #684744 by Kelly Lambert
Huh?  

No, I don't see the need for that.  I have thought about labeling my lens caps on both ends with the lens focal length.  But haven't gotten around to doing that.  

Nikon D700: 50mm, 14-24mm, 85mm, 105mm 70-200mm, 150-500mm (Sigma), SB-900
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #684748 by Ozzie_Traveller

Nikon Shooter wrote: Some years ago, I witness a sales person in a camera store that was facing a customer who did not have the means to pay for a FF body.   An alternative was brought up: a cheaper body set — with lens — that permits longer reach to the user thanks the crop factor. The sale argument hit the target and the cash went over the counter.  Some sales people are so ignorant — but clever to pass os their ignorence to gobbling believers.

G'day NS
I also witnessed a sales person with a woman pushing a toddler in a stroller - she was asking for a "camera better than my phone for good baby pics" and was sold a Nikon plus kit 2-lens bundle

I was horrified  - overkill in both equipment and cost

Phil from Downunder

3 years 9 months ago #687560 by Alfonso Camil

Ozzie_Traveller wrote:

Nikon Shooter wrote: Some years ago, I witness a sales person in a camera store that was facing a customer who did not have the means to pay for a FF body.   An alternative was brought up: a cheaper body set — with lens — that permits longer reach to the user thanks the crop factor. The sale argument hit the target and the cash went over the counter.  Some sales people are so ignorant — but clever to pass os their ignorence to gobbling believers.

G'day NS
I also witnessed a sales person with a woman pushing a toddler in a stroller - she was asking for a "camera better than my phone for good baby pics" and was sold a Nikon plus kit 2-lens bundle

I was horrified  - overkill in both equipment and cost

Phil from Downunder

Well perhaps she grew into the set up she picked up.  ha ha ha

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024