Labeling your lenses for Crop Factor?

3 months 2 days ago #684326 by Alfonso Camil
Nikon has 1.5x crop right?  

Which means my:

50mm  = 75mm 
18-200mm = 27-300mm
12-24mm = 18-36mm

Will you actually label your lenses with the FOV with the crop of 1.5x?  


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
3 months 2 days ago #684328 by Nikon Shooter

Alfonso Camil wrote: Which means my:

50mm  = 75mm 
18-200mm = 27-300mm
12-24mm = 18-36mm


Not so, Alfonso. The focal length of any lens stays what it is
for ever, what ever the sensor. The only thing that will be re-
corded is, like you say, the FoV. So applying a different desig-
nation will not serve you or change anything.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
3 months 2 days ago - 3 months 2 days ago #684337 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Alfonso

My 100% would be to forget about crop factors and such - just accept the overall performance / the "what does it show me" bit with each lens and enjoy your images from there

You will know when you need something "wider" - or "longer"  :)

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
3 months 1 day ago #684364 by Peter P
+1 Agree.  FOV is the only thing that is different with the crop sensor camera.  


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
3 months 1 day ago #684370 by Alfonso Camil
Then why are so many referencing different focal lengths for APS-C cameras?  I'm so confused.  

Seems like a loose term by some.  I see what you mean.  Thank you.


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
3 months 1 day ago #684373 by garyrhook

Alfonso Camil wrote: Then why are so many referencing different focal lengths for APS-C cameras?  I'm so confused.


This idiocy was started by the manufacturers, because in their "infinite wisdom" they thought that people needed a reference point. And for some reason they thought that their target market would use a 35mm camera as that reference point.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Turns out most folks didn't/don't have the experience necessary to know what a FoV on, or geometry of, a 50mm lens looks like, and how that might change on a body with a sensor of a different size.

We won't even talk about the fact the FoV is irrelevant, too, to the geometry of what a lens does. The FoV is about how much of the image can be captured on the sensor. 

So, there are still people that seem to think the crop factor matters, and that it can change the physical characteristic of focal length. Which it cannot.

It is impossible to fully, accurately recreate the shot specifics from one sensor size on another sensor size. The math and physics do not allow. Therefore, stop worrying about it.

If you want a 50mm lens, get a 50mm lens. The geometry of the shot will be the same, no matter what, but the rendered image size won't.

In short: use the lens you like/need.


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
3 months 22 hours ago #684439 by Shadowfixer1
I shot so long with full frame 35mm that I always reference everything to that system. If I adjust the lens focal lengths in my head for the crop factor, I know what I need to do what I want. Is it foolish? Maybe but that is how I think and see things. I use 35mm full frame as the standard and other people do as well because that was the standard for many, many years before we began dealing with crop sensors. The direction that manufacturers are going now is making the 35mm standard prevalent again. My take is convert it if you feel that way and don't convert the focal lengths if you don't care. No harm, no foul either way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KCook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
3 months 21 hours ago #684440 by Nikon Shooter

Alfonso Camil wrote: Then why are so many referencing different focal lengths for APS-C cameras?  I'm so confused.


Some years ago, I witness a sales person in a camera store that
was facing a customer who did not have the means to pay for
a FF body.

An alternative was brought up: a cheaper body set — with lens —
that permits longer reach to the user thanks the crop factor. The
sale argument hit the target and the cash went over the counter.

Some sales people are so ignorant — but clever to pass os their
ignorence to gobbling believers.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
2 months 4 weeks ago #684490 by Toby J
Yep, it's like the pitch for UV filters.


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
2 months 4 weeks ago #684723 by Alfonso Camil
OK, I understand now.  Thank you everyone.  :)


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
2 months 4 weeks ago #684744 by Kelly Lambert
Huh?  

No, I don't see the need for that.  I have thought about labeling my lens caps on both ends with the lens focal length.  But haven't gotten around to doing that.  

Nikon D700: 50mm, 14-24mm, 85mm, 105mm 70-200mm, 150-500mm (Sigma), SB-900
Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
2 months 4 weeks ago - 2 months 4 weeks ago #684748 by Ozzie_Traveller

Nikon Shooter wrote: Some years ago, I witness a sales person in a camera store that was facing a customer who did not have the means to pay for a FF body.   An alternative was brought up: a cheaper body set — with lens — that permits longer reach to the user thanks the crop factor. The sale argument hit the target and the cash went over the counter.  Some sales people are so ignorant — but clever to pass os their ignorence to gobbling believers.


G'day NS
I also witnessed a sales person with a woman pushing a toddler in a stroller - she was asking for a "camera better than my phone for good baby pics" and was sold a Nikon plus kit 2-lens bundle

I was horrified  - overkill in both equipment and cost

Phil from Downunder


Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,
2 months 20 hours ago #687560 by Alfonso Camil

Ozzie_Traveller wrote:

Nikon Shooter wrote: Some years ago, I witness a sales person in a camera store that was facing a customer who did not have the means to pay for a FF body.   An alternative was brought up: a cheaper body set — with lens — that permits longer reach to the user thanks the crop factor. The sale argument hit the target and the cash went over the counter.  Some sales people are so ignorant — but clever to pass os their ignorence to gobbling believers.


G'day NS
I also witnessed a sales person with a woman pushing a toddler in a stroller - she was asking for a "camera better than my phone for good baby pics" and was sold a Nikon plus kit 2-lens bundle

I was horrified  - overkill in both equipment and cost

Phil from Downunder


Well perhaps she grew into the set up she picked up.  ha ha ha


Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

,

802.3K

205K

1.62M

  • Facebook

    802,251 / Likes

  • Twitter

    205,000 / Followers

  • Google+

    1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Fujifilm X-E3 review, learn about the specs, features, pros, cons, and more of this excellent entry-level mirrorless camera.

Aug 05, 2020

In this Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7500 matchup, we explore the features and specs, pros and cons, and prices of these older, but highly capable DSLRs.

Jun 22, 2020

Check out this Sony a7R IV review to learn all about this incredible camera's specs, features, image quality, price, and more.

Jun 15, 2020

The Panasonic Lumix S1 might be a few years old, but its features and specs (and its used price today) make it worth a long, hard look.

Jun 08, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With this list of gifts for photographers under $250, you have tons of great holiday gift ideas for the photographer on your list!

Aug 06, 2020

photo album, photo album features, best photo album, photo album layout

Aug 05, 2020

The Canon EOS 80D is several years old, but it has some great specs and features that still make it a solid choice in 2020.

Aug 05, 2020

In this Fujifilm X-E3 review, learn about the specs, features, pros, cons, and more of this excellent entry-level mirrorless camera.

Aug 05, 2020

A great way to supplement your income is to sell stock photos. The question is, how do you sell photos online? Use these tips to increase stock photography sales.

Aug 04, 2020

Our upcoming photography trek and adventure series will provide you with actionable steps you can take to improve your photography and get ready for outdoor adventures of your own.

Aug 04, 2020

Not sure how to use your camera as a webcam? Use this guide to learn how to set up a DSLR or mirrorless camera with your computer.

Aug 04, 2020

A common question beginner photographers have is, what are step up rings? Learn what they are, why they're valuable, and where you can get a next-generation step up ring.

Aug 04, 2020