Being taken advantage of?

3 years 11 months ago #684493 by Torri-Zimmerman
Hey, so my friend is always wanting me to do pictures for her but doesn’t want to pay me anything for them. 

Now she is also my roommate as well so I don’t want to make things awkward. But I feel used when she just wants free photos. 

how do I go about charging her without it making me seem mean to her?

3 years 11 months ago #684494 by Nikon Shooter
You're in a trap, Toni, up to the waist to say the least.

A client is a client and a friend is a friend /or room mate.

I also have close friends that wish to get photos of their
family and I won't refuse because a client will be gone af-
ter the invoice is paid but a friend!

What kind of friend? What is the base of your friendship?
How much are you willing to pay for a "friend" when you
need one? One never know.

Don't answer the questions here but ask them to yourself.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684510 by garyrhook
Well, I'll lead with this:

theoatmeal.com/comics/exposure

You don't say what your roomie does to support herself, but ask her what she says when someone asks her to work without compensation? And don't let her change the subject. Clarify that when she asks for your expertise and time, she's asking you to work for free.

And it has nothing to do with being roomies. Make that clear to. That's redirection/deflection, and a common technique for changing the subject. The issue is her expectation of services without compensation. Stay on subject. And make it clear that your shooting photographs or not has nothing to do with being roomies. Or even being friends. If you want to institute a policy of "no freebies for anyone" then do it.

I give you permission to say "no".

Unless you ask, because you'll get something non-monetary out of it, even practice, then it's your choice. As soon as she asks for your services, she's not a roommate, she's a client. Treat her as such.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #684605 by Scott Klubeck
Put together a formal price sheet and kind of show it off, like you are taking your business to the next level.  "Oh, don't worry, friends and family get this price...." and point to a discounted hourly rate for her.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024