Beginner

3 years 10 months ago #686536 by Ashtyn
Hello, 

I am new to the photography world! I have had my camera for almost 7 years and I hard touch it. When I do pick it up I love it but I want to learn more. I am not sure what way would be ideal. I have thought about going back to school for it. Or are online courses ideal. 

Just looking for tips. I guess its a personal choice riight, any input would be nice. I have friends in the photography world but I always feel like a bug asking them for help! 

Thanks ! :)

3 years 10 months ago #686562 by fmw
Check out a couple digital photography beginners books from the library then go make some photos.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ashtyn
3 years 10 months ago #686564 by Nikon Shooter
… and, maybe, post them! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686570 by garyrhook
Find a local photo walk, and get out there.

Find a local group, and get involved.

Ask one of your friends to go shooting. They'll likely jump at the chance. Passionate photographers love to talk about photography, and love to help others learn.

Photo Comments
3 years 10 months ago #686573 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Ashtyn

and as someone with over 40 years as an adult-education tutor ....
try your local Adult-ed community college for a 6-week to 10-week course in general "camera usage and photographic techniques" ~ you will find others there just like you, and they will also have prac sessions and excursions

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 10 months ago #686578 by 7Wishes
YouTube is a good place to look. 

3 years 10 months ago #686819 by Ashtyn
haha yes! I just worry that my stuff isn't as good as someone who takes photos on their iPhones. But, I guess that's the first step too, being confident in my own work ! (:

3 years 10 months ago #686820 by Ashtyn
thank-you! These have been helpful! And I will look into a photo walk group (may be hard right now with the pandemic, but I sure that will start back up in no time!) I've started going hiking and bringing along my camera! 

Guess the biggest thing I am learning with photography is practice.. and practice and practice!! 

3 years 10 months ago #686849 by garyrhook

Ashtyn wrote: haha yes! I just worry that my stuff isn't as good as someone who takes photos on their iPhones. But, I guess that's the first step too, being confident in my own work ! (:

What other people do, and what other people like, is irrelevant to you and your experience.

Photography is about you and how you see things. It's a worthwhile thought to keep in mind from the outset.

IMHO.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024