Are professional photographers using manual settings for photos mostly?

3 years 9 months ago #687865 by Tim Dulaney
I've been using my new camera and getting the swing of this thing.  Good time learning photography, however a lot to learn.  Just wondering, do most professionals use manual settings?

3 years 9 months ago #687866 by Shadowfixer1
You will find that most use aperture priority followed by manual. Every poll I have ever seen has aperture priority as the majority.
3 years 9 months ago #687868 by Nikon Shooter
Yes, possibly like said… pros are not
known to use much the RFM strategy!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #687888 by garyrhook
What Randy said. Aperture priority seems to be the most popular, but frankly, I think learning in full manual mode is beneficial. Then you can decide what you need.

I know that, for me, I can't shoot slower than 1/160s on a good day. So I often control both aperture and shutter speed, and use Auto ISO to compensate.  If the ISO readings are tricky, I get a reading, then use the SS to compensate (which is Aperture priority, but it's just easier to do it all myself if I'm changing back and forth).

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #688273 by selena18
Not really. Relies upon the sort of shoot. A large portion of the work in business photography is done in manual mode. Be that as it may, on the off chance that you are associated with quick-moving real to life subject, at that point speed is significant. All things considered, an auto introduction mode works quicker. So can say that in controlled condition or still subjects manual mode is increasingly compelling, yet in uncontrolled condition, both auto introduction mode and manual modes can be utilized. Relies upon the light. If the brightness of your subject keeps changing, then it's better to be on an auto exposure mode.

3 years 9 months ago #688966 by Kelly Lambert
I use mostly Aperture priority myself.  I'll use manual when on a tripod with time to kill.  

Nikon D700: 50mm, 14-24mm, 85mm, 105mm 70-200mm, 150-500mm (Sigma), SB-900
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #688969 by Nikon Shooter
I am on M all the time and on all my 5 bodies and
encourage my students to explore the benefits of
that strategy.

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #688972 by Screamin Scott
I think it really depends on the type of shoot. A wedding would likely be shot in aperture but a scenic or static subject may more likely be in manual. Fast subjects (like sports) wouldn't be in manual although they could, just that there would be fewer keepers.... My macro shots are all done entirely in manual but for general shooting, I use aperture mode...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689044 by Pete Franko
Only for landscapes is when I use manual.  Otherwise aperture priority.  

Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago #689104 by CaptNemo
I'm pretty much with you Pete, manual for most stuff where my camera is on a tripod.  Portraits and wedding work, aperture priority.  

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #689241 by Tim Dordeck
Another Aperture Priority user here.  

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #689244 by Hassner
Manual only.
I started when cameras were only manual.
When auto came, slide film was sensitive to 1/2 a stop grace, so I trusted manual more, specially beach, snow type shots.
Till today, manual only.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #691614 by nomad
for landscapes and travel i go full manual so i can go slow and take my time to think about the settings and comp.  for wildlife i recently switched to auto iso and i've found it pretty useful for getting consistently exposed shots in fast changing conditions.

3 years 8 months ago #691636 by Nikon Shooter
The only two Autos I allow are ISO and WB.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024