Copyright setting in menu on camera?

3 years 9 months ago #691462 by Jonathan-Baldridge
My fiancé and I are working on setting up a wedding photography business and our main camera body is a Nikon D750.  I watched an initial setup video for this camera recently where a wedding photographer recommended using the menu setting 'copyright' to insert his business name and website address.  I added this option in my D750 menu.  When I later told my fiancé about it she flipped her lid because she learned from Taylor Jackson that you want to be able to turn your digital image over to your clients and allow them to make as many copies as they want and to own the images.

Would me using a setting such as this actually prevent any of this from being possible, especially since it isn't a real copyright?

3 years 9 months ago #691467 by Nikon Shooter
Any © info you Nikon will attach to the RAW file, affects only
those files. When published, you may opt for attaching © info
or not. Better still is to sign a © release to a specific person or
organisation leaving the © info in the metadata.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #691470 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Jonathon

As a new arrival to this forum may I say 'Welcome aboard' - there are heaps of people here with many years of photo experience, and most are available to help you with questions such as this one

May I say at the start that it is many years since I have done any paid weddings - I did them for many years until it became tiresome. But at no stage, did I ever give the originals be they film or digital to the client for their subsequent actions. It is simply never done by a professional, independent photographer. If however you are an employee of another business, then you are simply a 'camera operator' and what happens after you hand over your images to the manager is no longer your concern

Two things here -
a) you say that "My fiancé and I are working on setting up a wedding photography business" and this sounds as though you are new to the photography-for-payment world. Should this be the case then I invite you to do many, many hours of practice with camera + computer editing + marketing =before= you attempt a commercial gig of this sort, and
b) a significant reason why we do not pass originals to others is that should they make a mess of the editing and printing process, when others see the crappy print / digital image and ask "who took this photo" it is your name that is used, not theirs ... and they are the ones who have mucked-up the original image

So to come back to your original issue re- inserting your copyright data into the camera ... I would NOT be conducting any commercial activities WITHOUT that data being on each image

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 8 months ago #691499 by garyrhook
It is very rare for anyone to turn over originals (RAW) to the client. Work for hire, or for the right price, yes.

But for weddings? No.

What you will do is deliver JPGs to your client, and license your images to them. And those will be copyrighted because you own them. No one transfers ownership of images to a client. A client can have a JPG and print/share/whatever with your say-so. Nothing more is required. And you maintain ownership so that you can use them for promotion.

In short: your wife doesn't understand how this works. So suggest you do more research into photography business procedures, either through WPPI or PPA.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024