Lens cap rope or string??

1 month 3 weeks ago #692677 by Alfonso Camil
I want to attach my lens cap with string or rope to my lens bodies.  What rope or string do you use?  I have lost a couple lens capes and just managed to lose another.  

Thank you.

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 3 weeks ago #692681 by Nikon Shooter
That is the bone in the soup and everyone has a share of
natural clumsiness.

I didn't lose anything since yeeeeaaaars — knock on wood.

The whole thing is to get locked in routines or bad habits
that will never fail you.
• I always put the caps in the left pocket of my trousers and
back on the lens
• Always put the bag down between my feet and won't do
a step forward without having it back on my shoulder first
• etc

In my natural way to be careless, I had to develop extreme
discipline in my chaos — I did not say order… but discipline.

Rope, strings or else will get in the way and provoke incidents
of other nature.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #692732 by Alfonso Camil
Have you ever put in your pocket and sat down and broke a lens cap?

Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #692752 by Nikon Shooter
Sorry Alfonso, I wear cargo pants only…
with side pockets… you know!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

1 month 3 weeks ago #692786 by Garbo
Save your money, keep it in your front pocket.  

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #692858 by Vahrenkamp
I keep mine in front pocket of my pants or most my shirts have a chest pocket.  Either spot will get my lens cap.  

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #692862 by Piechura
I've never lost one, but I've definitely dropped one on occasion and sometimes it almost lands somewhere where I couldn't get it. Especially those tiny, fiddly micro four-thirds ones.

1 month 2 weeks ago #692935 by garyrhook
Get something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Lens-Cap-Bundle-Snap-including/dp/B00DZIFWRU/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=lens+cap&qid=1596729983&sr=8-5

I still, after years, put my caps in different places, but I'm trying to generate the habit of putting it back in the bag when I pull the camera out, or change lenses. Otherwise, it goes in a pocket.

Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #692960 by icepics
I was gonna say, they make those... you should be able to find just that item, not necessarily in a kit/set. I have/had one, tried it but didn't use it long because it got annoying pretty fast. Don't remember where I bought it years ago.

I too usually stick the lens cap in a pocket. If I'm working thru a crowd etc. I lightly put my hand over the lens to not bump the glass into anything (and keep my hand positioned not to cause smudges).

Sharon
Photo Comments

1 month 2 weeks ago #692985 by Shadowfixer1
I always thought people that used lens cap tethers looked like goobers walking around. Something akin to using a pocket protector. :rofl:

1 month 2 weeks ago #693134 by Pat White
Why?  Just keep it in your pocket.  

1 month 2 weeks ago #693135 by Pat White

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I always thought people that used lens cap tethers looked like goobers walking around. Something akin to using a pocket protector. :rofl:

Yes!  Agree :rofl:

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Pentax K-1 Mark II is an affordable full frame camera with many excellent features including in-body image stabilization. But is it the camera for you? Find out in this review!

Sep 21, 2020

The Canon 7D Mark II might be more than five years old, but for sports and wildlife photographers, it's still a great - and affordable - option.

Sep 15, 2020

The Canon PowerShot G5 X II is a high-end compact camera. The question is, is it the right camera for you? Find out in this Canon PowerShot G5 X II review.

Sep 09, 2020

This detailed Olympus OM-D E-M1X review will introduce you to the features, specs, pros, cons, and more of this high-powered sports and action photography camera.

Sep 07, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The camera bag that was on the top of my best camera bags of 2020 list just got an update and is now even better!

Sep 24, 2020

With a budget of $5,000, you can get incredible gifts for photographers this holiday season.

Sep 22, 2020

Partnerships in photography are crucial to the success of your business. If you want to make it as a photographer, you need other people to help you out!

Sep 22, 2020

Canon's RF lineup of lenses is stacked with superb lenses. But which ones are the top Canon EOS R5 lenses? Find out in this list!

Sep 22, 2020

variable ND filters, uses for variable nd filters, neutral density filters, variable neutral density filters, what is a variable nd filter, why you need a variable nd filter

Sep 21, 2020

Use these photography business tips to expand the reach of your business to new clients and retain the clients you already have.

Sep 21, 2020

To get better at photography, you need to learn how to improve your photos. And to do that, you need to practice essential photography skills. Here's some projects that will help you do just that.

Sep 21, 2020

The Pentax K-1 Mark II is an affordable full frame camera with many excellent features including in-body image stabilization. But is it the camera for you? Find out in this review!

Sep 21, 2020