Blurry Pictures

3 years 7 months ago #694403 by Fernando-Constantino
Hello everyone!

First of all, it's my very first post here - although I'm a DSLR hobbyist since 2010. I'm quite used with the settings for Rebel (my previous one was T1i - passed away when I was trying to get a good shot over a slippery stone on a river shore). Now I use a T3i with the stock 18-135mm kit.

I noticed that even from the beginning the photos weren't as good (in focusing) as the ones I had with my T1i 18-55mm. This is a second-hand kit that had probably 20k+ shots before me (now close to 50k). I have already sent the camera to an official repair shop for a general cleanup and check-up and it was retrieved with the status 'fine'.

I use to take pictures using the viewfinder + MF, but I also tried using the display + AF and the results are quite similar (it takes a bit longer to lock but it locks).

It keeps blurring in a strange way (like depth of field + reflection) and I'd like some help to figure out what's happening. The following pictures were taken without any physical filter attached to the lens.

1/400 f/5.6 ISO100

1/1250 f/5.6 ISO100

1/1000 f/5.6 ISO100

1/160 f5.6 ISO100

1/1000 f/5.6 ISO100

3 years 7 months ago #694410 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Fernando

Firstly - Welcome to the PT photo forum ... there are plenty of others here with lots of experience and a willingness to help others

Okay - to your camera and the pics ~ and the exposure setting are most helpful

Q- what type of focus point is the camera set to?? ... spot / centre / matrix ???

re the pics
#1 - seems acceptable focus - esp the building at the lower left (but without knowing the focus settings it is hard to know what the camera thought you were actually shooting)

#2 - the dogs are in focus but their rapid movement has caused the blur - I use 1/2000s ~ 1/4000s for animals on the move

#3 - again seems to be in focus but not very sharp. It is possible that there is a tiny amount of blur at the leading edge of the black wings to the white body ... looking at the image at 200% it seems to show some horizontal blur. It could also be that the lens is inherently "just a bit unsharp" at max zoom

#4 - is sharp in the centre / leaf area ~ but maybe not sharp enough for your eye/brain to accept
Also - and this is a memory stretch to my university days doing 'photographic optics' (ie: several thousand years ago) the specular highlights (ie: the shiny bits) at the corners (see top left) have a circular pattern to them, indicating a less then perfect optical solution. The 'fuzzyness / sharpness' of the sand grains at the lower left and lower right fall away into the corners - not a depth of field thing, it's sharpness here - suggesting that this lens might not be 'the best' for closeups

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fernando-Constantino

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024