Advice for buying a new camera

3 years 5 months ago #698249 by Ira
Hello!
For years, I have been shooting on a simple point and shoot camera. Now I think it's time to get a better camera, but I need advice from more experienced photographers.

What I'm looking for:
1. Full manual controls
2. 1-inch sensor preferably
3. Small size preferably
4. Optical viewfinder is good to have

A camera like Canon G9 X is within my budget, but I cannot afford anything more expensive, and would prefer something even cheaper, if possible (maybe something with fewer features)

One other thing:

I'm interested in doing film photography too. Buying only a film camera is scary for me, cause I never did film photography before. I would like to have a smother transition. So I thought about practising photography with something like G9X + my mother's film point and shoot, and after I get comfortable with both of these, I want to get a film SLR.

1. Do you think this is a good plan?
2. What film cameras can you recommend?
3. What is the difference between an SLR and a rangefinder?
4. What old film cameras are compatible with modern lenses? I think it's important to have a good selection of lenses?

3 years 5 months ago #698252 by Nikon Shooter

Ira wrote: 3. What is the difference between an SLR and a rangefinder?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
Attachments:
3 years 5 months ago #698269 by fmw
The problem with your plan is the plan to use film.  There are only two good reasons to use film.  The first is you have a film camera already and want to use it.  The second is a love of old technologies.  Something like playing vinyl records instead of digital media.  Anything film can do, digital can do better and with far more flexibility. 

I used film cameras for half a century.  I owned some very good ones.  I don't have a single one any longer and don't miss them.  Plan on staying with digital.

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #698271 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Ira

As a 'newbie' here ..... Welcome to the PT Forum, and I trust that you will receive heaps of good advice along the way

Offering suggestions re- a camera is never easy when one does not know what type of photos you wish to take with that new camera - but if I interpret your post a bit ......

I would suggest a second-hand / pre-loved digital camera using the m4/3 sensor. I am a Panasonic user and find the 10-yr old mirrorless G2 fits your 4 points perfectly, and you can see plenty of them on ebay, along with a selection of lenses. I have a G2 with the standard lens of 14-42mm and the next 45-200mm lens and each is excellent in sharpness and colour rendition

As to film stuff - I would suggest you try any local flea market for a $20 film camera with maybe a 3x to 6x zoom lens and shoot several rolls of film along with the processing afterwards. The costs of processing may deter you, but for an exploratory time at least, it is something that you will need to accept

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 4 months ago #700040 by Ira
What about Nikon D700?
I see I can buy it cheaply and it's full-frame.

3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #700064 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

It does not matter as to whether it is a nikon or canon or sony or panasonic full-frame body .... with a dSLR it is the lenses that follow that will determine a) the cost of the package and b) where your photography ends up

I suggest that you add together the price of a 24-70mm plus a 100 to 400mm as a starter to the cost of the body and use this as your absolute minimum spend. Then after 12-months use, you will better know what you want and will then no doubt, buy additional lenses ~ if you can afford them

ps- back in my SLR days I ended up with 3 primes and 3 zooms covering the 20 to 1000mm range, and needed two carry bags to go anywhere. I'm glad that it no longer applies to my photo style.

Hope this helps

3 years 4 months ago #701823 by xiafanmao
Nikon D700 is ok

3 years 4 months ago #702858 by JFarber

Ira wrote: What about Nikon D700?
I see I can buy it cheaply and it's full-frame.

Very good camera!  D700 was a workhorse and still is!  You should be able to get a very good deal on used pricing.  

3 years 2 months ago #707486 by Pilotshark
Thanks for that. hope I can download the image and put it with my other pieces of information as I learn more and more about cameras and photography.

So after so many years of doing this or that and life itself getting in my way, I am now at the point where just slowing down and doing things I have put off I have concluded that its time to become creative and do what I want.
Thanks for giving me a place to get started. :-)

Photo Comments
2 years 3 months ago #728827 by Ira
So, I'm back here. Had some other problems, so stopped thinking about photography for a while.

Now that I think about it, used cameras are the best for me, considering my budget.

I want both a DSLR and a compact, for different situations.

Options I am choosing between (DSLR, full frame):
1. Nikon D700
2. Canon EOS 5D
3. Canon EOS 5D mark ii
4. any other options in this price range?

As for a compact, I'm looking for:
1. manual mode
2. larger sensor
3. optical viewfinder

Choosing between:
1. Canon G1X
2. Canon G15 / G12
3. Fujifilm X10 / X20/ and maybe X30
4. any other options?

The majority of compact cameras seem to have electronic viewfinders, but I would really prefer optical.

2 years 3 months ago #728832 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Ira

As with so many things - I/we cannot answer your question without some idea as to what the heck you are planning to do with the camera/s once you have them. Cameras have many commonalities, yes, but when you are getting down to asking about specific cameras, it implies you have some sort of image in your mind as to what you plan to do with them .... and you need to give us some idea so that we can offer a decent response

2 years 2 months ago #730338 by Happy Hour
What did you end up getting?

Photo Comments
1 year 9 months ago #739186 by jacksonpro709
I have a Canon Mark 3 5D with 2 lens 2 battery charger fairly used I'm trying to sell .
(pics below -a good setup for anyone just getting going) for more information contact me thanks .
Whatsapps : +1(859)813-5681

1 year 9 months ago #739192 by lightcapture
Nikon D700 is a very good camera. (I'm still loving the next generation D750) It's much better than than the Canon G9x but also much bigger.

Something along the lines of the Canon but better is the...
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1223211-R...rshot_g7_x_mark.html
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1391011-R...irrorless_micro.html
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1444716-R...irrorless_micro.html
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1049537-R...100_iii_digital.html

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024