Cheap camera filter recommendations?

3 years 4 months ago #705567 by Liem Stailey
I always see people recommending filters that are SO expensive.  Are there any filters (polarized, ND, grad, etc.) that are under $30 bucks and worth getting?  

Please let me know your suggestions.  Thank you

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #705578 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Liem

Regrettaby for us as buyers, there are plenty of others out there who will sell the unsuspecting public 'factory seconds' claiming that they are 'best quality'.  I had a student some time back whose CPL images were always fuzzy.  It turned out that she had bought an eBay cheapie.  It was replaced and she gave me the old filter for display purposes.

Here's the comparison ...... a $25 CPL filter vs a $75 CPL filter

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Attachments:
3 years 4 months ago #705600 by Nikon Shooter
What is the purpose of getting high end gear
if one ends up sticking cheap filters on it?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #705824 by fmw
What is the point in using filters in the digital edge.  I can imagine how an ND filter can be useful in very rare circumstance but I can't imagine spending money on any other kind of filter.  The money would be better spent on better editing software.

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #705827 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day fmw

There are some occasions where an on-camera filter can achieve things that PP cannot - either cannot at all, or cannot easily achieve the result that a filter can create

The ND filter is mentioned - and 'yes' it does play a very useful role in reducing light throughput and forcing longer exposure times

The Graduated filter is very useful for many landscape photographers - and 'yes' in PP you might be able to apply a grad layer across the image to create a similar result -but if you can do it easily during exposure, why not do so?

Here's a sample (hand held so that you can see what it is doing)

The CPL filter can do things that PP cannot achieve.  As well as darkening skies, it also cuts through reflections very easily - and this cannot be fixed in PP

Here's a sample ... no CPL filter in use

versus 'yes' CPL filter in use and reflections now substantially removed

Hope this helps

Attachments:
3 years 4 months ago #705842 by Piechura

fmw wrote: What is the point in using filters in the digital edge.  I can imagine how an ND filter can be useful in very rare circumstance but I can't imagine spending money on any other kind of filter.  The money would be better spent on better editing software.

So many reasons. Firstly, what if you want to shoot wide open on a sunny day? There have been many times where I've reached the limit of my shutter speed and the only way to do it is by adding an ND filter. Any sort of long exposure shot (light trails, waterfalls, removing people in a busy area, etc). For video, since you only typically change aperture and ISO in video, the shutter speed is usually fixed at double the frame rate. So the only way to change the exposure is by using an ND filter (which is why all proper video cameras have them built in). And of course polarizing filters, which can't be replicated with software.

3 years 4 months ago - 3 years 4 months ago #705843 by Piechura

Liem Stailey wrote: I always see people recommending filters that are SO expensive.  Are there any filters (polarized, ND, grad, etc.) that are under $30 bucks and worth getting?  

Please let me know your suggestions.  Thank you

The really cheap ones will result in both a reduction in sharpness and a colour cast. At that price there are going to be compromises, so personally I'd focus on sharpness rather than colour, because if you're shooting RAW, you should be able to correct the colour afterwards, but you can't add detail back into your shot (maybe someone with more experience can confirm or deny this).

Here's a video comparing some budget ones and more expensive ones:

Matt Grainger also did a couple of good videos on the topic with sample photos:

Having said that, your profile says that you're using a Canon 5D, which suggests you're already pretty invested. If you're using expensive lenses, then I'd personally invest in some decent filters too.

3 years 4 months ago #705844 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

Looked at the 3-stop ND video .... what an extraordinary difference between the filters examined
Thanks for listing them for us

Phil

3 years 3 months ago #705913 by fmw

Piechura wrote:

fmw wrote: What is the point in using filters in the digital edge.  I can imagine how an ND filter can be useful in very rare circumstance but I can't imagine spending money on any other kind of filter.  The money would be better spent on better editing software.

So many reasons. Firstly, what if you want to shoot wide open on a sunny day? There have been many times where I've reached the limit of my shutter speed and the only way to do it is by adding an ND filter. Any sort of long exposure shot (light trails, waterfalls, removing people in a busy area, etc). For video, since you only typically change aperture and ISO in video, the shutter speed is usually fixed at double the frame rate. So the only way to change the exposure is by using an ND filter (which is why all proper video cameras have them built in). And of course polarizing filters, which can't be replicated with software.

I'm not sure why you think I disagree with you.  I'm aware of the uses for the ND filter.  I only said they were rare.  If you use them then you should have them.

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #706323 by Patrick G
Check out Gobe Filters.  They are pretty decent and they do good things for the environment when you buy a filter.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024