Beginner in Landscape Photography: New Camera Advice

3 years 3 months ago #707378 by EmmaSommer
Hey everyone, I'm looking for advice on what camera to get to improve my landscape photography.
I've had the Fujifilm Finepix S1 for 5 years now, and it's been a really great digital camera, but I think I'm a bit limited in the fact I can't change the lens. I would like a DSLR camera so that I can take photos with a more wide angle lens.
Basically what I'm most interested in is taking photos of mountains, lakes, and landscapes, and I would also love to do some night-time photography. Night-time photography is something I really haven't been able to do that well with the Fujifilm Finepix. 
Could anyone recommend a decent camera and lens for what I'm looking for? One that doesn't break the bank preferably (>£500). Right now my skills are pretty limited, I know enough to work the camera on manual mode and adjust ISO and shutter speed, but I'm looking to learn a lot more when I invest in a new camera.
I've attached some photos so you can see what kind of photos I like to take.
Thanks in advance for any help!

3 years 3 months ago #707382 by Pilotshark
Hello, and welcome.
I am a newbie to the whole photographic thing.

But I did enjoy looking at those pictures very nice.

So after so many years of doing this or that and life itself getting in my way, I am now at the point where just slowing down and doing things I have put off I have concluded that its time to become creative and do what I want.
Thanks for giving me a place to get started. :-)

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: EmmaSommer
3 years 3 months ago #707389 by Nikon Shooter
From what I see in your pictures, Emma, you are doing quite fine
prior to SR but things, in PP are not supporting your effort and en-
thusiasm, IMVHO.

Most of your shot have great potential but little of it shines through
as it could/should… given your are recording RAW files.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #707390 by EmmaSommer
Hey thanks very much for you reply. What do you mean about the RAW file?

3 years 3 months ago #707391 by Nikon Shooter

I was afraid you'd come back with that question because I
don't know your camera and its features.

Have a look  HERE

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #707392 by EmmaSommer
Ok thanks, I'll have a read of that and hopefully things will make more sense.

3 years 3 months ago #707393 by Nikon Shooter
In short, Emma, the best way to improve your photography at
this point is to upgrade to a RAW recording camera and learn
post-processing… and having a good time doing it. :P

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago #707411 by EmmaSommer
Hey so it turns out my camera can record RAW photos! The only problem is that my Mac doesn't like to open the files. I'm sure there's a simple enough way around this though.

3 years 3 months ago #707412 by Nikon Shooter
Either the camera maker or Apple will have the necessary
tools/profiles available for download.

Photo Comments
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #707708 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Emma

As a new member to the PT family - WELCOME - there are plenty of people here with heaps of knowledge and skills to share with you. Years ago I started my digital photography with an Fuji S-5000 followed by a Fuji XS-1 .... and now run Panasonic superzoom cameras as they have both a sharper lens and a better range of features and therefore suit me nicely

Your images (above) show us that you have some beaut visual skills, and as NS says, maybe a bit of PP editing could lift some from 'good' to 'really good'.

Coming back to your request for dSLR information
The biggest issue with any dSLR is -not- the camera, it is the extra lenses you need to do what your visual-self wants to record. To replace your Fuji zoom lens will need i) a 24-105mm zoom, then ii) a 100 to 400mm zoom, then iii) an 800mm 'long' lens ... all up at about 2000 ~ 2500 pounds > after you have bought the camera! Q- can you afford this?

To me you have 2 other alternatives ... make better use of the existing Fuji via better software, -or- update the Fuji to a similar camera, but one with extra features not found in the Fuji.

Like you, my zoom lens 'only' goes to 24mm at wide-angle mode, but I get around this by turning the camera sideways, then carefully shooting 3 or 4 or 5 images and in the computer, joining them carefully using software. This gives me super-wide angle / panorama pictures (at no cost for extra lenses)

My Panasonic superzoom will shoot hundreds of 'burst' images before stopping, and when doing after dark star pictures, these again are joined by software to give me beaut after-dark images. (ps- I do not know how many images your Fuji will take before stopping)

Here's one from recently ... a 45 minute exposure of 100 images joined in the computer
img\def

Please come back with more Qs and collectively we'll see what we can do for you

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

3 years 3 months ago #708021 by selena18
Using a Wide Angle Lens to Capture the WHOLE Landscape is important for a landscape photographs.When you aren’t just interested in highlighting details in the environment, a trusted wide-angle lens is the way to go for a landscape photographer.

3 years 3 months ago #708126 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Emma

Hope we haven't drowned you with too much information - but here's a bit more  :)

I mentioned above about using your Fuji and creating super-wide-angle images via shooting several images and joining them in the computer, and I thought I would give you an example (coz it is really ezy-pezy)

Here are 4x camera images - you can see that there is a bit of overlap at the edge

and here is the above images joined up in the computer to create a super-image of about 8000pixels wide and covering about 105 degrees of landscape.  This comes in at double your Fuji at 1x-zoom or about 14mm if using a Full Frame dSLR camera

Hope this helps

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024