Trying to get motorcycles crossing at 45mph in focus

3 years 1 month ago #712241 by Richrd
I'm beginning to think this might be impossible. 

I was trying out a new Nikon 7500 body with a tamron 28 -70 2.8.

I was about 10 feet off the road surface and the background was close to the opposite side.

I was using 3d tracking and panning as the bikes came into the pic and across as they were at 90 degrees to me.

Ideally  I want the bike in sharp focus, the wheels blurred and the background blurred, either thru motion or "bokeh"

I found that to blur the wheels took slower than 400 sec exposure.   But I tried all combinations from 1250 f2.8 to 200 f11.

Out of 40 pics, I only had 4 that were sharp.  I think trying the faster shutter would rule out motion blur on the bike, (but that froze the wheels) but they still weren't  sharp.

So what am I missing?  Is it me or is the lense not capable of fast auto focus?

Thanks

3 years 1 month ago #712243 by Shadowfixer1
Look up "panning technique". That is what you need to do.
3 years 1 month ago #712320 by Richrd
I know this is the beginner's forum but I have been planning for 50 years.

3 years 1 month ago #712326 by Shadowfixer1
Panning. Not planning.
3 years 1 month ago #712343 by Richrd
That too

3 years 1 month ago #712361 by peterock33
Hello Richrd.  If you are shooting the bike rolling past you at 90 degrees, going 45 mph and between 10 and 15  feet in front of you, you might as well forget your auto focus. You won't have time for it to focus to get the shot.  The bike will already be gone.  What I would try is to pre-focus on the spot where the bike will pass and where you plan to take your shot.  Now your focused.  When the bike comes, do your pan and when the bike reaches your predetermined position, take your shot.  Assuming the bike has passed on your focused distance, and you panned properly, your bike should be sharp with the desired blurs. If you know the rider, you can get him to ride on the desired line, then your focused distance will be right on the money every time.  Try even slower shutter speeds for various degrees of blur.  Once you get your panning technique perfected, you will be surprised, I'm sure.    Just my two cents worth.  Hope this helped.

Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #712424 by Richrd
The bikes are more than 10 feet away.  That's how far I am off the road, to the center of the left to right lane, it's about 20 ft and the right to left lane about 32 ft.

I know what you mean about prefocus, done that many times,

Guess my question should be, is it possible to do this with auto focus, or is it a characteristic  of the tamron lens to be slow?

3 years 1 month ago #712425 by Nikon Shooter

peterock33 wrote: … you might as well forget your auto focus. You won't have time for it to focus to get the shot.  The bike will already be gone.

Using the BBF feature would be the adequate strategy… me think, I do.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 2 weeks ago #714144 by Richrd
Upon further reveiw

I've retried using Nikon lenses (50 -300 3.5 5.6 and 70-200 2.8) and received much better pics.  I'm experimenting with using cl and ch shutter release,  getting the bikes coming in crossing and going away.  the Auto focus on the Nikon lenses seems to be much quicker (using 3d mode)  And I think I have gotten all I can expect under the difficult conditions.  Giving myself more room front to back would help.  Using faster shutter speeds helps a bit with detail but that freezes the wheels.  320 gives acceptable clarity and still blurs the spokes.  I'm going to retry the tamron lens next time out.

3 years 6 days ago #715042 by Ian Stone
Preset your focus on where the bikes will cross and lock things down.

Photo Comments
3 years 5 days ago #715063 by peterock33
Hey there Richrd. I am kind of curious to see some of your results on how you made out with your endeavour.... it would also give us a visual of what you were involved with.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024