Where do you draw your inspiration from?

2 years 11 months ago #715251 by TGonzo
Morning everyone.  I've been feeling kind of in a rut with my photography.  May I ask where you find your inspiration from?  I always take my camera with me, and just not 'seeing' things to photograph.  

Kind of could use some help.  Thank you in advance.  

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #715274 by Nikon Shooter
My endless curiosity and fascination for our world is, some days,
not enough — let's forget about the assignments to consider free
shootings only.

Some seasons offer very little weather wise, seasonal changes are
not always for the best and just those two are not cheering anyone
up to go out with the camera. Many of my students come up with
that kind of excuses and… there was a time I could understand it
but not anymore.

When there are very few subjects to discover, this is your chance to
discover yourself. See how twisted your vision may be, how tricky
your mind may work through special explorations. For example, I
took my classes to cemeteries, scrapyards and what not to explore
what makes no sense — like death - and capture story telling shots.

Have a good time!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #715336 by Nikon Shooter

… if outside won't work, try inside!  Studio shot 

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #715412 by Nefarious
I'll look at others work, 500px, PT gallery and flickr.

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #715468 by db3348
More so in my earlier days in photography than  now,  but I often read books and magazines on other photographers' work ,  and  visited some exhibitions of other photographers' works .

These days ,  I  just look at some of my own past photos  and think how  I  might improve on them ,  either a re-shoot,  or re-edit .

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #715527 by Zach Mosher
Movies and other photography galleries online

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #715528 by peterock33
Many years ago, back in the late 70s, I belonged to one of the local camera clubs. One of the meetings was dedicated to getting inspired.  The speaker suggested we take our camera and one lens and one roll of film.  Then we were to just go for a walk anywhere, even just in your own back yard.  We were then asked to bring the results to the next meeting. 

It was very interesting indeed and we were all surprised at how different everyone's results were. Seeing other's photos also resulted in giving us new inspirational ideas to try out.  It turned out to be a great lesson in composition, which is always such an important factor in every shot.  Also it is much easier today, because not only do you not have to spend anything on processing (which made you extra conscious about each exposure you made), you can also see your results immediately.

If you give that a try, I am sure something will pop up to stir up some of that inspiration.

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #716185 by Randall McNabb
Picture books, movies and online galleries 

Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago #718128 by TGonzo
A few of you mentioned movies.  How does movies being video translate to stills?

Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago #718644 by Carter Gledhill
Online galleries 

2 years 9 months ago #719805 by Frost Photography
Museums 

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago #720104 by TGonzo
Ahhhh, how many of you are getting out daily with your cameras?

Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago #720461 by Fitch
Everywhere - magazines, books, tv, online, walks, movies, you name it! 

Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago #720927 by Eli Clark
Photos and books, but mainly photos from various online sites.  

2 years 9 months ago #721325 by Nefarious
Which books you speaking about Eli?  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024