Where do you draw your inspiration from?

2 years 11 months ago #715251 by TGonzo
Morning everyone.  I've been feeling kind of in a rut with my photography.  May I ask where you find your inspiration from?  I always take my camera with me, and just not 'seeing' things to photograph.  

Kind of could use some help.  Thank you in advance.  

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #715274 by Nikon Shooter
My endless curiosity and fascination for our world is, some days,
not enough — let's forget about the assignments to consider free
shootings only.

Some seasons offer very little weather wise, seasonal changes are
not always for the best and just those two are not cheering anyone
up to go out with the camera. Many of my students come up with
that kind of excuses and… there was a time I could understand it
but not anymore.

When there are very few subjects to discover, this is your chance to
discover yourself. See how twisted your vision may be, how tricky
your mind may work through special explorations. For example, I
took my classes to cemeteries, scrapyards and what not to explore
what makes no sense — like death - and capture story telling shots.

Have a good time!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #715336 by Nikon Shooter

… if outside won't work, try inside!  Studio shot 

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #715412 by Nefarious
I'll look at others work, 500px, PT gallery and flickr.

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #715468 by db3348
More so in my earlier days in photography than  now,  but I often read books and magazines on other photographers' work ,  and  visited some exhibitions of other photographers' works .

These days ,  I  just look at some of my own past photos  and think how  I  might improve on them ,  either a re-shoot,  or re-edit .

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago #715527 by Zach Mosher
Movies and other photography galleries online

Photo Comments
2 years 11 months ago - 2 years 11 months ago #715528 by peterock33
Many years ago, back in the late 70s, I belonged to one of the local camera clubs. One of the meetings was dedicated to getting inspired.  The speaker suggested we take our camera and one lens and one roll of film.  Then we were to just go for a walk anywhere, even just in your own back yard.  We were then asked to bring the results to the next meeting. 

It was very interesting indeed and we were all surprised at how different everyone's results were. Seeing other's photos also resulted in giving us new inspirational ideas to try out.  It turned out to be a great lesson in composition, which is always such an important factor in every shot.  Also it is much easier today, because not only do you not have to spend anything on processing (which made you extra conscious about each exposure you made), you can also see your results immediately.

If you give that a try, I am sure something will pop up to stir up some of that inspiration.

Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago #716185 by Randall McNabb
Picture books, movies and online galleries 

Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago #718128 by TGonzo
A few of you mentioned movies.  How does movies being video translate to stills?

Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago #718644 by Carter Gledhill
Online galleries 

2 years 9 months ago #719805 by Frost Photography
Museums 

"The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera."
Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago #720104 by TGonzo
Ahhhh, how many of you are getting out daily with your cameras?

Photo Comments
2 years 8 months ago #720461 by Fitch
Everywhere - magazines, books, tv, online, walks, movies, you name it! 

Photo Comments
2 years 8 months ago #720927 by Eli Clark
Photos and books, but mainly photos from various online sites.  

2 years 8 months ago #721325 by Nefarious
Which books you speaking about Eli?  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024