How do you select your aperture in your photos?

2 years 10 months ago #719250 by Storz
Hello.  I'm new here and a bit new to photography with a 'professional camera'.  :rofl:   OK, I don't know if what I have is a professional camera.  I've been shooting with an iPhone for the longest time and I just got a Sony A7r and my wife says it's a professional camera.  But I'm trying to understand when you are in Aperture priority or I guess manual mode for that matter, how do you determine what aperture you are going to use? 

Thank you for your help! 

2 years 10 months ago #719257 by Nikon Shooter
The most important points, using the aperture ring, are two.
1, make sure you hit the right ƒ for a correct exposure and
2, control the DoF.

With a bit of practice you will be fluent in the selection.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago #719266 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Storz

The aperture settings in the camera are used for three main things ..... a) exposure control in conjunction with the best shutter speed, -or- b) to create / determine the Depth-of-Field that you want for the scene, and/or c) to determing the level of image sharpness from the centre to the corners of the photo

Looking at these in reverse ... sharpness - if you use a magnifying glass to look at a subject, you will quickly see that the edges of the image are blurry when compared with the middle. Camera lenses are much better, but as we are a fussy lot !! we want good edge sharpness as much as possible. So comes the recommendation to use a mid-range aperture for good image quality, and to be aware that when using the lens at wide-open (small aperture numbers) then the IQ may not be perfect

Secondly- when you have a subject that needs more or less Depth-of-Field, then you can run the apertures down to F16, F22 if needed, or out to F4 maybe if you do not need DoF

Finally, it is alwayas a balancing act (like a child's see-saw) to balance the Aperture to the best Shutter speed so that the exposure is correct and the end result is what you wanted

Remember also that the aperture number is the bottom of a fraction ... the diameter of the aperture hole is a fraction of the millimetres of the lens focal length. So small numbers F2, F4 etc are 1/2 - 1/4 of the focal length and large numbers F16, F22 are 1/16 or 1/22 of the focal length

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

2 years 10 months ago #719342 by Carter Gledhill
It depends on how much blur (Depth of field) I want behind the subject I'm shooting

2 years 10 months ago #719434 by KenMan
Depends on how much blur I want and what I'm photographing.  

Photo Comments
2 years 10 months ago #719635 by Storz
So is there an aperture you use most when you don't care about background blur?  
Thank you all.  

2 years 9 months ago #719670 by db3348
The widest aperture ( lowest f/number) provides most background blur (if that's what you're referring to).
But remember that the amount of background blur depends not only on aperture ,  but also on distance from you to subject and distance from subject to background , and focal length of lens (from same camera position) .

Wider aperture (e.g.  f1.4 , f/2 , f/2.8 ... ) : more background blur
Smaller aperture (e.g. ... f/11, f/16 , f/22 ) : less background blur

Closer camera-to-subject distance             further subject-to-background distance :  more background blur
          Further camera-to-subject distance , closer subject-to-background distance : less background blur .

Shorter focal length (from chosen camera position) :  less background blur
Longer focal length (from same camera position) :     more background blur

Hope that helps .

Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago #719680 by hghlndr6

Storz wrote: So is there an aperture you use most when you don't care about background blur?  
Thank you all.  

Blur can also occur in the foreground.  So Background blur isn't my deciding criteria ... Depth of Field is.

The first thing I ask myself before shooting anything is, "do I have any depth of field concerns?"  The answer is usually yes.  I usually want either a deep or a shallow DOF, so aperture will be my priority and I'll set the aperture small or large accordingly.  If the answer is no, then I'll use something like f/8 or f/11. 

The second question I ask myself is "do I have any shutter speed concerns?"  If the answer is no, then I'll be working with aperture priority, as above.  If the answer is yes, as in stopping motion or as in showing motion blur, and the answer to question 1 is also yes, then that's a problem that I'll try to resolve either by working completely in manual mode and adjusting ISO, or by enabling auto-ISO.
2 years 9 months ago #720060 by Garbo
Easy - do I want the background blurry or sharp?  F2.8 vs f/16

Nikon D300: 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 2.8 VR |Sigma 150 2.8 | 50 1.4 | SB-800
Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago #720230 by Stacy Craig
Depends on how much light there is, what I'm after in the shot, and so forth.  

Photo Comments
2 years 9 months ago #720788 by Hoss
:agree:   3 words:  Depth of field

Photo Comments
2 years 8 months ago #721943 by Prago
Portraits - depends on how much crap is behind the person I'm shooting or how much I want in focus.  Landscapes, usually f/8 to f/11, or if sunny out, then f/16.  

SWM into chainsaws and hockey masks seeks like-minded SWF. No weirdos, please
Photo Comments
2 years 6 months ago #725692 by Storz
Finally getting a grasp on all of this, thank you all for your help.  

2 years 4 months ago #728578 by JaneK
For me, it's all about the background blur.  Most of the time, I'm pegged around f/8

Photo Comments
7 months 4 weeks ago #755499 by EtherArts
Hello! Congrats on the Sony A7r. It's a pro-level camera. Aperture choice in Aperture Priority or Manual mode affects depth of field and light. Wide apertures (e.g., f/1.8) blur backgrounds, ideal for portraits. Smaller apertures (e.g., f/8) keep more in focus, great for landscapes. Experiment based on creative goals and lighting conditions.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024