Which is better in 2021: Mirrorless camera or DSLR camera?

11 months 2 weeks ago #720542 by Pork Express
I'm referring to someone just getting started and this will be there first camera? 

Thank you!!!

Glen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 months 2 weeks ago #720547 by Nikon Shooter
  1. The point is that more stuff is available on the high end used DSLR market than in the newer Z system.
  2. Being a farmer, you possibly have more grip than a bureaucrat and that is good in DSLR world.
  3. There is NOTHING significant a Z can do a DSLR can't… in my book, DSLR forever.
You are in a position in time where you could get waaaaay more for less… be wise.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

11 months 2 weeks ago #720551 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Glen

As a newbie ... WELCOME to the PT forum ~ there's plenty of people here to assist you at any time

You ask about "systems" - a better Q would be back to the would-be photographer ... "what do you want to photograph?" and "what sort of $$ do you wish to part with?"

There are so many camera options around today ... yes there are dSLRs and mirrorless "SLRs" plus the very versatile fixed-lens Superzoom / Bridge cameras plus ............. and the list goes on

NS is a very experienced photographer and uses hi-end / hi-quality dSLRs as part of his business and our entertainment via his excellent images. I use Panasonic superzoom cameras, way-way down in cost than NS's equipment but our pleasures are very similar :p

So- back to you ... as above:- what does your new-recruit want?
Hope this helps

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

11 months 2 weeks ago #720554 by Shadowfixer1
Like it or not, DSLR's are on the way out. Mirrorless cameras are the future of the industry. There is nothing wrong with a DSLR, but in my eyes there are too many advantages in mirrorless to overlook and the advantages are growing with each new release. If getting started, may as well invest in mirrorless because it is the future and may as well have those mirrorless lenses in the bag when your dream camera body appears when upgrade time rolls around.

11 months 2 weeks ago #720682 by MYoung
:agree:  so true

Photo Comments

10 months 5 days ago #723221 by Pork Express
Thank you all, I ended up getting a Sony a6500.  I've had the camera for a week now and love it!  

10 months 5 days ago #723230 by Shadowfixer1

Pork Express wrote: Thank you all, I ended up getting a Sony a6500.  I've had the camera for a week now and love it!  

Congratulations. Good camera. Have fun!

10 months 5 days ago #723232 by Pork Express

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

Pork Express wrote: Thank you all, I ended up getting a Sony a6500.  I've had the camera for a week now and love it!  

Congratulations. Good camera. Have fun!

Thank you, it's great to finally have a real camera and not just my phone!  

5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 2 weeks ago #729985 by KelliKMahon
Thanks for the info. I am helping my friend in buying a camera. And for that I am gathering information online.

5 months 2 weeks ago #730407 by Storz

KelliKMahon wrote: Thanks for the info. I am helping my friend in buying a camera. And for that I am gathering information online.

What's their budget?  

3 months 1 week ago #734268 by BenReeves
Thank you for the suggetions.

2 months 3 weeks ago #735123 by Kyle O
Mirrorless will be more future proof

Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #735176 by Otto F
Which route did you end up going?  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon Z FC specs are quite impressive, and when paired with the retro-style body, you get a fun and capable camera for enthusiast shooters.

May 31, 2022

In this Nikon Z5 review, we'll discuss the specs, features, pros, and cons of this enthusiast-level camera. We'll also offer tips on where to buy one on the cheap!

May 10, 2022

The Leica Q (Typ 116) is a fantastic camera for intermediate and advanced shooters. Is it the best choice for you, though? Find out in this detailed review!

Apr 28, 2022

Looking for Best Budget Camera of 2022? Here’s my pick- Sony ZV-1. This best budget camera is loaded with features that give it lots of bang for your buck.

Feb 18, 2022
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

What is the best camera in 2022? That's a loaded question whose answer depends on many factors. In this guide, we'll explore some great options!

Jun 22, 2022

GoPro accessories come in all shapes, sizes and price points. But which ones are the best? We offer our favorite picks in this 2022 guide.

Jun 22, 2022

After using Linksys routers for many years, I switched to a Synology Router - the RT6600ax. Here are my first impressions!

Jun 15, 2022

In this Leica QP review, learn about this capable camaera's specs, features, pros, cons, and more, so you can decide if it's the right camera for you.

Jun 15, 2022

When you travel with your camera, it's nice to have one lens for travel photography. Which lens should you get? And what accessories should go with it? Find out in this guide!

Jun 15, 2022

A lens bag is a convenient way to carry your gear on active photoshoots. A leather lens bag is even better due to its durability!

Jun 13, 2022

Whether you're an amateur or a professional photographer, there are plenty of ways to use custom artwork to display your photos.

Jun 13, 2022

If you're in the market for a new-to-you Nikon camera, one of the first steps is to check the Nikon DSLR camera price to compare models.

Jun 13, 2022