Nikon D3400 Blurred photos

2 years 5 months ago #727790 by MikePhoto
I'm new and have been trying to take photos from Nikon D3400, lens AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G but photos always seem to be blurred. I've tried manual, automatic etc but no luck. Camera & lens are brand new so less chance of anything wrong with it. I must be not using it right.

Camera settings in auto mode

Image JPG

NEF image
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MsejiqzNW1XRM_tj9coHbNGAlkqspKVF/view?usp=sharing

Any suggestions?

2 years 4 months ago #728326 by Photo Amigo
Hi Mike, have you cleaned your glass front and back on your lens?

2 years 4 months ago #728332 by Nikon Shooter
Blurred describes a lack of sharpers due to movement… which is
no the case here. I look like a severe case of back focus with no
acquisition.

I would suggest an AF Fine Tune if your camera has that option.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #728333 by Nikon Shooter
Oops!

Photo Comments
2 years 4 months ago #728338 by MikePhoto

Nikon Shooter wrote: Blurred describes a lack of sharpers due to movement… which is
no the case here. I look like a severe case of back focus with no
acquisition.

I would suggest an AF Fine Tune if your camera has that option.

Yes you are right, it's not blurred photo as I've come to learn since I posted this thread. It's certainly focus issue. I've been trying manual and auto focus since then and have found some success in getting it better. Manual seems to be better for me than auto mode. Someone suggested some settings on another forum which I followed and works up to some extent. 

I'm yet to get a perfect shot though. 

Here is a recent photo I took which is better than first but I'm still missing with focus. I normally focus in the centre of products.

Any suggestions on how to fix my focus issue?

Attachments:
2 years 4 months ago #728339 by MikePhoto

Photo Amigo wrote: Hi Mike, have you cleaned your glass front and back on your lens?

Yes I did, I don't think there is issue with cleanliness. 

2 years 4 months ago #728340 by Nikon Shooter
As I suspected, the focus is rendered on the transformer at the back and I am
sure this was not the chosen point.

All my cameras MUST go through AF Fine Tune procedure with ALL my lenses.

Photo Comments
2 years 4 months ago #728342 by MikePhoto

Nikon Shooter wrote: As I suspected, the focus is rendered on the transformer at the back and I am
sure this was not the chosen point.

All my cameras MUST go through AF Fine Tune procedure with ALL my lenses.

Wise words, I wish someone could have told me that in the first instant itself. D3400 doesn't have AF tune. I'll Google on how to get it done. Thanks for reply.

2 years 4 months ago #728346 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Mike

With a 35mm focal length lens, it will quite easily give you good sharpness range via depth of field. To check focus accuracy, the lens needs to be pre-set to about F4 ... F5 sort of range. This will be in "A" aperture mode (obviously) where the camera does the rest

Some suggestions ...
1) try a simple focus check first .... put a thick black line on a newspaper sheet and stick it to a wall. Mount the camera on the tripod at about 45 degrees to the wall and in MF mode focus very carefully on the black line - take the picture

2) With the camera on AF mode, walk around your yard and take 1/2-dozen images of things that are -not- moving ... bricks - tree trunk - car wheels etc. and again on the computer screen, chesk for focus accuracy / sharpness

In each case, examining the results on the computer screen will tell you whether the focus point in the viewfinder equals the focus point at the sensor

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024