Photography Tip: Getting to know your DSLR

10 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #38627 by PhotographyTalk
If you just bought your first DSLR any time recent, you might very well be looking at all the buttons and switches and wondering "what did I just get myself into?!". The manual is pretty close to novel that is guaranteed to put you to sleep! :rofl:

Seriously, this video is a must watch for anyone who either just bought a DSLR or has had a DSLR but doesn't full understand what ALL the buttons and switches do. Mark Wallace in this video takes you by the hand and literally shows you what all the buttons and switches do on a DSLR camera .

Enjoy:
Nikon D600 | Nikon D7100 | Nikon D800 | Canon 5D Mark III | Nikon D5200

Recommended Reading

The following user(s) said Thank You: effron, johnfphotography, tkcurtis, photodezigner, Rascal07, b4d93r, rajeev_98, PDaunno, jwesleyc3, bigbubbaG and 7 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 8 months ago #38684 by chasrich
Thank you.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patrice-Pat-Change

10 years 8 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #38688 by Baydream
This is an excellent companion piece by the president of the Image Makers Photography Club in Truro, Nova Scotia, by Cliff Sanderson
imagemakerstruro.ca/?p=50
Well worth printing off for reference.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

10 years 7 months ago #39803 by crystal
I think this video is a really good idea. So many new DSLR owners have no idea how to use what they just bought.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ed adocal

10 years 7 months ago #46535 by Scotty
Great video. :patriot:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

10 years 2 months ago #136452 by J. Hansen
Great video!! Learned lots!!: :woohoo:

10 years 2 months ago #144972 by ijeep
A good start.

10 years 1 week ago #168814 by Joy Mullin
Thank you

10 years 1 week ago #168818 by Stealthy Ninja
watching the video to kill some time...

LOL shutter release button... durrr.

The buttons will NOT be consistent camera to camera according to brand. It might be close, but different cameras differ.

Anyway, good video for noobs. I encourage people to watch it if they don't already know the basic.

I got 3min in and stopped watching... :X

10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #168827 by chasrich
I did't remember this title until I saw where I had posted 7 months ago. That's a lot of pixels through the old processor but even so I should have recognized it. :unsure:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

10 years 1 week ago #170721 by rajeev_98
great video :thumbsup: :judge:

9 years 10 months ago #188254 by savethisid
Nice presentation!! Good valuable information!!

9 years 10 months ago #188350 by b4d93r
Quite good, thanks for the video.

From a semi-noob standpoint, this video was helpful however, I highly recommend reading the user manual especially if you didn't get a Nikon or Canon like what was in the video. As it was mentioned, that video doesn't go into a lot of detail about all the features which realistically would make it a new show for cable TV without having any repeats!

I have a Fuji and some of my buttons are a little different plus I don't think I have that little star button, or at least I haven't found it yet. Overall it's a good start for the beginner but do take the time and read the manual, play with your camera, and get comfortable with it.

Fuji FinePix S5100 \ Olympus SP-565UZ \ Nikon D100
UV/CP Filters
Collapsible lens shade

It ain't much but it keeps me happy!

9 years 10 months ago #192025 by lokiwolf
Thank you for putting up. Excellent video and informative for beginners, (find the manual a bit heavy going sometimes). Will be watching more of those tutorials. :judge:

Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened.

9 years 8 months ago #214247 by H.Priyanka
:cheers: :judge: :cheers:

©PH-otography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D3X is a 13-year-old high-end camera. The question is, does it still have what it takes to be a pro-level camera in 2021? The answer might surprise you.

Nov 19, 2021

The Canon EOS Rebel SL1 was the smallest DSLR on the market when it came out in 2013. Is it still a decent option for photographers in 2021? Let's find out!

Nov 04, 2021

The Nikon D4 is nearly a decade old, but despite its age, it still offers a lot of features and benefits for professional and amateur photographers alike.

Nov 03, 2021

The sony a7s might be seven years old, but the camera's specs, features, design, and price make it a worthy option for shooting photos (and video!) in 2021.

Oct 22, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

If you're looking for some smokin' Black Friday photography deals, we've got a great list of gear that you can get for HUGE savings!

Nov 24, 2021

Use these simple tips to learn how to photograph real estate during the holidays without stressing yourself (or your clients) out.

Nov 24, 2021

How large should I print my photo? This is a very common question, and one with an answer that is a little more complex than you might think.

Nov 24, 2021

If you're looking for the perfect stocking stuffer for photographers, look no further than the HoldFast Indestructible Journal.

Nov 24, 2021

There are actually quite a few ways to save money when buying photography gear. Check this list to find out three of our favorite money-saving methods.

Nov 23, 2021

In the 2021 edition of our Mpix metal print review, we'll take a look at whether this popular online printing company has prints that are worth your hard-earned cash.

Nov 22, 2021

These real estate photography tips for homeowners will help you perfect your approach to photographing your home - and photographing it well to get it sold.

Nov 22, 2021

There are many reasons why a metal print is a great holiday gift for photographers. Check out this guide to learn the benefits of printing on metal!

Nov 22, 2021