Photography Tip: Getting to know your DSLR

13 years 4 days ago - 11 years 3 weeks ago #38627 by PhotographyTalk
If you just bought your first DSLR any time recent, you might very well be looking at all the buttons and switches and wondering "what did I just get myself into?!". The manual is pretty close to novel that is guaranteed to put you to sleep! :rofl:

Seriously, this video is a must watch for anyone who either just bought a DSLR or has had a DSLR but doesn't full understand what ALL the buttons and switches do. Mark Wallace in this video takes you by the hand and literally shows you what all the buttons and switches do on a DSLR camera .

Enjoy:
Nikon D600 | Nikon D7100 | Nikon D800 | Canon 5D Mark III | Nikon D5200

Recommended Reading

The following user(s) said Thank You: effron, johnfphotography, tkcurtis, photodezigner, Rascal07, b4d93r, rajeev_98, PDaunno, jwesleyc3, bigbubbaG and 7 other people also said thanks.
13 years 4 days ago #38684 by chasrich
Thank you.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patrice-Pat-Change
13 years 4 days ago - 11 years 11 months ago #38688 by Baydream
This is an excellent companion piece by the president of the Image Makers Photography Club in Truro, Nova Scotia, by Cliff Sanderson
imagemakerstruro.ca/?p=50
Well worth printing off for reference.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #39803 by crystal
I think this video is a really good idea. So many new DSLR owners have no idea how to use what they just bought.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ed adocal
12 years 11 months ago #46535 by Scotty
Great video. :patriot:

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #136452 by J. Hansen
Great video!! Learned lots!!: :woohoo:

12 years 6 months ago #144972 by ijeep
A good start.

12 years 4 months ago #168814 by Joy Mullin
Thank you

12 years 4 months ago #168818 by Stealthy Ninja
watching the video to kill some time...

LOL shutter release button... durrr.

The buttons will NOT be consistent camera to camera according to brand. It might be close, but different cameras differ.

Anyway, good video for noobs. I encourage people to watch it if they don't already know the basic.

I got 3min in and stopped watching... :X
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #168827 by chasrich
I did't remember this title until I saw where I had posted 7 months ago. That's a lot of pixels through the old processor but even so I should have recognized it. :unsure:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 4 months ago #170721 by rajeev_98
great video :thumbsup: :judge:

12 years 2 months ago #188254 by savethisid
Nice presentation!! Good valuable information!!

12 years 2 months ago #188350 by b4d93r
Quite good, thanks for the video.

From a semi-noob standpoint, this video was helpful however, I highly recommend reading the user manual especially if you didn't get a Nikon or Canon like what was in the video. As it was mentioned, that video doesn't go into a lot of detail about all the features which realistically would make it a new show for cable TV without having any repeats!

I have a Fuji and some of my buttons are a little different plus I don't think I have that little star button, or at least I haven't found it yet. Overall it's a good start for the beginner but do take the time and read the manual, play with your camera, and get comfortable with it.

Fuji FinePix S5100 \ Olympus SP-565UZ \ Nikon D100
UV/CP Filters
Collapsible lens shade

It ain't much but it keeps me happy!

12 years 2 months ago #192025 by lokiwolf
Thank you for putting up. Excellent video and informative for beginners, (find the manual a bit heavy going sometimes). Will be watching more of those tutorials. :judge:

Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened.
12 years 2 days ago #214247 by H.Priyanka
:cheers: :judge: :cheers:

©PH-otography

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024