What Does 0/3 EV Exposure Bias Mean?

13 years 4 days ago #46291 by E note
I noticed on Flickr image properties that some pictures have a 0/3 EV exposure bias. Is this the same as 1/3 EV? Sorry if this question seem trivial!

13 years 4 days ago #46534 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 3 days ago #46904 by Henry Peach
I would think that 0/3 exposure bias would mean no exposure bias. +1/3 bias means they've set the meter for 1/3 stop brighter than middle gray. +2/3 means +2/3 stop. +1 means +1 stop, etc...

It's been a long time since I participated in Flickr, but I think that info is often just retrieved from the exif data, and sometime the cameras list the specs in strange ways. For instance sometimes I see shutter speeds like 0.005 while I would be more used to thinking of it as 1/200th.
13 years 3 days ago #46930 by bdroberts
.005 would be expressed as 5,000th so wouldn't it be 1/5000 of a sec.?

BD Roberts, M. Photog., CPP, EICPP

www.bdroberts.com

Photo Consultant to the industry

13 years 2 days ago #47171 by Henry Peach
1sec divided by 200 = 0.005 sec. 1 sec divided by 5000 = 0.0002

Heck, I don't know. I still call it 1/200th.
13 years 2 days ago #47172 by Henry Peach
0.005 is 5 thousandths, not 1/5000.
13 years 2 days ago #47202 by Ed Pray
Wow, I am glad this question was ask, as I had no idea, after reading the answers, I am more confused.

13 years 2 days ago #47265 by Henry Peach

Ed Pray wrote: after reading the answers, I am more confused.

Exposure compensation (or bias) is setting the light meter to meter for something other than middle gray. Most modern, electronic cameras allow you to set the exp comp in 1/3rd stop increments up to 2 or 3 stops over or under middle gray. The reason you might want to do this is because in any of the auto-exposure modes the meter is going to set the camera to get an exposure of middle gray, and if your subject isn't middle gray that might not be optimal.

For instance if I were photographing a bride in all white with the exposure mode set to Av (aperture priority) I don't want a middle gray wedding dress. I want a white wedding dress, so I want to set the exp comp to a stop or so higher than middle gray. On the other hand with the groom in a black tux I want to set the exp comp for a stop or so under middle gray.

The camera records the settings in the exif data attached to the photo file, and when uploaded to Flickr that data can usually be displayed upon request. You could also use an exif reader, which is available as a plug-in for most browsers.

I am speculating that when the exif data reads "0/3 exposure bias" that it means no exposure bias was set as 0/3 = zero.
13 years 1 day ago - 13 years 1 day ago #47581 by robbie
The +- button on your camera controls the setting.I uses it to control highlights and dark areas.
Eg...I shoot landscapes with lot of very bright clouds so I uses 'bracketing' of .3ev plus punch in about -1ev with matrix metering.That depending on the brightness of the clouds.
For dark subjects you need +ev to open up the brightness level.For say a pelican I uses -ev to prevent blowing out the highlights but make sure you shoot in 'Raw' so you can open up the shadows.
It`s more dependent of the intensity of light hitting the subject than the tonal range of the subject.
Try shooting a landscape with a very bright clouds and use different ev compensation with 'bracketing' turn on to see the effects.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024