UV Filter's?? Brand or what??

12 years 9 months ago #87653 by LovePhotography
So I seemed to have scrathed a Filter that I have for my 18-55 lens and was needing to get a new one - SO after looking all around -

What is the Best brand?

Kind?

You can get them with a vision in them? Not just UV?

HELP Me out again PLEASE !! I got a cheap one with this and I am not sure what to look for now.

Any and ALL help would be Very Helpful..

12 years 9 months ago #87667 by TheNissanMan
Personally wouldn't bother as your putting more glass (not necessarily good glass) in front of your lens which will already have UV coating. Personally would save pennies by getting a hood :)

12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #87679 by MLKstudios
The best is B+W (made by Schneider-Kreuznach in Germany), but they also make hoods that are cheaper. As TNM said, get a hood instead.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 9 months ago #87685 by Henry Peach
Hoya makes very nice filters at reasonable prices.
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #87977 by Stealthy Ninja
IF you are shooting somewhere with a lot of dust, salt spray etc. a UV filter is a good idea.

Got nothing to do with UV though.... unless you're way up on a mountain.
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #88027 by McBeth Photography
A nice sunpak UV filter came with my used 85mm f2, I was thrilled! I immediately took off the filter and figured out how to get the filter glass out of the filter holder and then put the filter holder back on my 85mm f2 and now the filter threads on the front of my 85mm f2 are protected from dings. Works great!

It is what it is.
12 years 9 months ago #88029 by Stealthy Ninja

McBeth Photography wrote: A nice sunpak UV filter came with my used 85mm f2, I was thrilled! I immediately took off the filter and figured out how to get the filter glass out of the filter holder and then put the filter holder back on my 85mm f2 and now the filter threads on the front of my 85mm f2 are protected from dings. Works great!

And some bonus vignetting too. :blink:
:owned:
12 years 9 months ago #88077 by Screamin Scott

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

McBeth Photography wrote: A nice sunpak UV filter came with my used 85mm f2, I was thrilled! I immediately took off the filter and figured out how to get the filter glass out of the filter holder and then put the filter holder back on my 85mm f2 and now the filter threads on the front of my 85mm f2 are protected from dings. Works great!

Since he's shooting with a "crop" camera (D70), no vignetting will occur

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #88193 by McBeth Photography

Screamin Scott wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Since he's shooting with a "crop" camera (D70), no vignetting will occur

$100 lens ..... who cares if there is vignetting or not. Photography is more fun when you learn to deal with a few imperfections. The main thing is to enjoy the experience!

It is what it is.
12 years 9 months ago #88195 by Screamin Scott
I had gotten a Nikkor 35-70 F3.5 that had a UV filter stuck on it. I did the same thing as the filter refused to budge, I took a spanner wrench & removed the glass, leaving the filter ring body on the lens. No vignetting either...This lens cost me $36...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #88205 by McBeth Photography

Screamin Scott wrote: I had gotten a Nikkor 35-70 F3.5 that had a UV filter stuck on it. I did the same thing as the filter refused to budge, I took a spanner wrench & removed the glass, leaving the filter ring body on the lens. No vignetting either...This lens cost me $36...

$36! That"s a deal and a half! I borrowed a 35-70mm 3.5 for a couple of weeks....loved it! I think that its a great thing that these old Nikkors are kinda underrated because it saves us money getting outfitted with good glass.

Back to the OP, I agree with the Ninja,

"IF you are shooting somewhere with a lot of dust, salt spray etc. a UV filter is a good idea.

Got nothing to do with UV though.... unless you're way up on a mountain. "

It is what it is.
12 years 9 months ago #88215 by Screamin Scott
I have gotten some killer deals over the years....A 20mm F4 Nikkor for $35, a 70-210 F4-5.6 & a Nikkor 50-135 F3.5 for free, just to name a few more...BTW, I rarely use "protective" filters, using lens hoods & caps for that function.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
12 years 9 months ago #89357 by Joves
I dont use UVs I use Clears for lens covers. And I really only use them when Im rock climbing or it is windy here to keep the dust off the front element.

The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography, LovePhotography
12 years 9 months ago #89493 by Henry Peach
Funny article with examples of what happens when you stack too many UV filters...

www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/06/good-times-with-bad-filters

;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LovePhotography
12 years 9 months ago #89761 by MLKstudios
It would only take ONE poor quality filter to get the same results.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024