Time Machine... ZZZZipppp!

Oh damn, there's a fly in here! ;)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #126220 by Shadowfixer1
I was driving down the road one Sunday morning and I saw this. I had to turn around and go back to shoot it. The old guy sweeping the sidewalk was a great bonus.
12 years 8 months ago #126227 by robbie
Wow,love the tones,awesome!

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #126427 by MLKstudios
shadow, can I post this at TMBO? It's really great. Nothing in it shows it was taken recently.

I agree the old man was your happy accident! I know including him was no accident. But just the fact he was there, sweeping!

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #126432 by Shadowfixer1
No problem. Go ahead. Hit me up with an invite if you still feel like it. The only thing I've found in the image that gives it away is the guy wire protector.
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #126436 by MLKstudios
Email me and I'll add yours to the invite. It's a weird and unusual group. But fun too.

Matthew

See my sig below for my email addy.

eta, the tones in your conversion are spot on! looks 3D again, which is (or should be) the goal of a good b&w conversion.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #126796 by icepics
Well that explains why images converted from color to B&W look so odd to me, saying they're supposed to look somewhat 3D. Not saying that as a critique of this particular photo, I guess having done darkroom work the converted images tend to look a little 'off' to me. I can't say I care for the effect that much, unless you're going for a borderline 3D special effect. I was looking up a movie on TCM and got to looking at the stills and some of those are fantastic B&W photos; that's more the look I like.

This was cool getting a shot of those old cars lined up, the photo has an interesting perspective looking down the street.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #126802 by MLKstudios
Ansel and the Zone System gave us the ability (using a scientific method) to make 3D looking black and white images with film. It's all about controlling the "tones" in the scene and translating those to the print.

When blacks go ALL black and whites go ALL white, it doesn't look 3D anymore. There has to be detail in the shadows AND the highlights.

Look at the area next to the wheel in the pic above. See how you can see texture in it? Even the highlights have details -- ex. the white top on the car in back. It's a very WELL converted black & white.

These are things we look for when converting. Often they are there in the RAW (color) original, but get lost in conversion.

Higher contrast images can look good too. Just depends on the subject.

Note: shadow's stairway pic also has perfect tonality. I don't know of anyone who could do better. You can feel the texture of the door in the back, and see the glass knob (the brightest spot which is just below max white). It too would print perfectly.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #126805 by Scotty
I honestly thought this was an old shot. Good eye man.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #126870 by icepics
I think the area you mean that's next to the wheel is the darker shadow; I see the detail there. In the darkroom I've dodged an image and been able to bring out details in a darker part of a photo; it depends on what you're photographing and how much detail is in the negative.

I haven't read any Ansel Adams in years, but I don't remember thinking of his photos as having a 3D look. 3D to me is how old Viewmaster images look. (Which is what I finally realized some of the color HDR reminds me of).

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #126873 by PaulTully
Nice shot, great when you're just passing somewhere that catches your eye.
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #126876 by MLKstudios
Usually it takes going to a gallery to see the original art work. Nothing looks the same on a computer screen.

But, if the tones all are in the right place, the image will jump off the paper. A good example are Weston's shells. They are wonderfully 3D. You even think you see colors in them.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #126944 by icepics
Probably true, it's quite different seeing art 'in person' rather than in a book. I see what you're saying now w/Weston's work, I just don't see that as '3-D'. That term makes me picture what you see if you look at something 3-D with those kooky blue and red cardboard glasses. Some of the color HDR looks to me like it resembles those Viewmaster photos.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #126947 by MLKstudios
Unless you are doing flat work (ex. copying a drawing), photography is a 2D representation of a 3D world. The best lenses give you all three dimensions back. Of course, you have to have good techniques down too, but if you take all the right steps, you should be able to visually step into the picture.

Take a moment and stare at shadow's pic above. It becomes almost 3D again. In a print it would be more 3D looking.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024