Puddles after a rain.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 7 months ago #127596 by icepics
Shadows from the window.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127599 by MLKstudios
WOW! Very nice Sharon. Really nice compositions too. You're part of the train. :)

Are you familiar with Paul Strand's work? He was one of the first to do abstract photography, and often used shadows in the compositions.

He also taught A.A. on how to make a good negative, which Ansel later turned into his Zone System.

Probably my favorite photographer of all time.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #127660 by Rob pix4u2
nice work Sharon, love the first puddle and the first shadow.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

12 years 8 months ago #127663 by Baydream
Glad you are "seeing" the world around you instead of just "looking" at it.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #127754 by Dori
Well done!! I love the bubble you caught in the water puddle! :judge:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 8 months ago #127781 by mj~shutterbugg
Love abstracts! These are especially nice- loving the first one particularly!

Think Off-Center ~ George Carlin
www.mjbrennanphoto.com

12 years 8 months ago #127782 by Papabear63
Very nicely done Sharon

12 years 8 months ago #127784 by chasrich
:judge: :agree: :thumbsup:

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127950 by icepics
Thanks, those were after it had rained and the raindrops were plopping into the puddles in my driveway, did the prints in the darkroom. The shadows were done trying out my relatively new digital. Obviously I like abstract work too.

Oh yeah, I'm familiar w/Strand, really like his work. Andre Kertesz is actually my favorite.

What train and where's it going?? LOL

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127960 by MLKstudios
Sharon,

Thanks for your comment in the friend request. I'm only trying to help here and you are one of a few who "get me".

I have WAY too much edu. A lot of it was crap. While some of it was very good. Usually depends on the teachers. Some can only teach what they know and others inspire.

I learned before the internet. There were no YouTube vids to watch. Back then you had to learn by school (expensive) or by assisting (for free). Books help, but without real experience, you won't get there. Wherever "there" is.

My comment above was about you seeing "like" the masters see. That puts you in the line of cars on the "art" train. Most photo schools don't cover that. You'll meet people in workshops who are a part of it, but not often in the 101 level courses.

What I've been "trying" to do here, is to make everyone aware of the art "game", that I paid dutifully for. The rules are simple. Combine the work of great artists into your own work. Try to understand WHY those pictures are in museums while billions of other interesting, and often beautiful, pics are stuck on Flickr.

You may have to change your own style to match, but you'll likely see that as a plus, and not a minus. It's mostly about the ability to communicate with others. The picture's universal humanity that we all share (in all cultures).

If you want to do this for a hobby, then don't worry about it. Learn anyway you can. Read UE, watch YouTube vids. There are crumb spreaders online everywhere who will share some they have gathered.

However, if you want to be taken seriously as a photographer, you're going to have to work at it and take your own work seriously too (like Sharon has done). No one is going to hand you lots of $$ for a pretty picture. Like everyone that made it before you, you'll have to earn it. You start by getting on the train.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #127967 by VT Hiker
The first one is really cool, how the trees are intermingled with and broken up by the puddle. I like the slight bit of toning on that one as well.

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 8 months ago #127977 by MLKstudios
A challenge for you all. Name one famous photographer, who is still alive!

Sounds too easy, doesn't it?

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #127979 by Dori
I honestly don't know...

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #127985 by MLKstudios
Not unusual, Dori. There are many who's work is hanging in museums though.

We may see 1000 pics a day, and we don't care who takes the picture. Just so it's good.

This just got posted on my FB (CJ is a former student). Some have great light and poses, and some don't. But, they all are full of humanity.

www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=542789524

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024