B&W photos with Canon 5D

13 years 6 months ago #1344 by MrScrappy
What would be the best way to make B&W photos with a Canon 5D? Should I shoot color and process it in photoshop or what?

13 years 5 months ago #4934 by mggraz
The great thing about a digital camera is you can take the picture in color and then see how it will look in B&W later. You can use Picasa 3 which is free and under "effects" choose "Filtered B&W". Also go to "tuning" and adjust your shadows as dark as you can but still showing detail. Same with highlights, as ligt as you can go and still show detail. When your done the picture should "snap" and not look muddy. Hope that helps.

13 years 5 months ago #6562 by matthieu
you can also shoot directly in BW with a 5d and with most of the digital cameras i think

13 years 1 month ago #36404 by Yasko

MrScrappy wrote: What would be the best way to make B&W photos with a Canon 5D? Should I shoot color and process it in photoshop or what?

Yes. That way gives you more options in the way you make it look, including keeping it in color should you choose to.

13 years 1 month ago #36426 by digishutterbug
If I shoot jpg b&w with my 5D and pull the photos into Photshop the photos are b&w. However if I shoot b&w in raw and pull the photos into Photoshop the photo comes in in color and I have to convert to b&w so I guess it depends on how you shoot. If you shoot in raw all the time don't even use the b&w setting. I have never used the b&w setting except that one time.

13 years 1 month ago #36532 by H0U53
Take the photo in color, then process it in B&W.

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #81169 by Henry Peach

MrScrappy wrote: What would be the best way to make B&W photos with a Canon 5D? Should I shoot color and process it in photoshop or what?

If there was a single best way we would all be using it, and there would be no other options. :)

You will probably have more options in controlling tones converting a color photo to BW. For instance you can make red a darker gray, or blue a lighter gray, or both. For instance a traditional color contrast effect in BW landscape photography would be to darken blue skies to make white clouds pop. Or darken red lips. Or lighten red freckles.

But maybe you don't need or want options. You want speedy BW right out of the camera, and you are very satisfied with the in-camera BW conversion. Then setting the picture style to BW would be the right choice. You do have some control over contrast, etc...

I shoot raw, and like to convert from color. Sometimes I set the camera to BW though, so I can see the preview in BW. In-camera processing settings affect the jpeg displayed on the LCD, but aren't permanent to the raw file. When the raw file is opened in the raw processing software what ever the default processing parameters for the software are will be applied, meaning it usually turns back into color.
12 years 10 months ago #81301 by robbie

Henry Peach wrote:

If there was a single best way we would all be using it, and there would be no other options. :)

You will probably have more options in controlling tones converting a color photo to BW. For instance you can make red a darker gray, or blue a lighter gray, or both. For instance a traditional color contrast effect in BW landscape photography would be to darken blue skies to make white clouds pop. Or darken red lips. Or lighten red freckles.

But maybe you don't need or want options. You want speedy BW right out of the camera, and you are very satisfied with the in-camera BW conversion. Then setting the picture style to BW would be the right choice. You do have some control over contrast, etc...

I shoot raw, and like to convert from color. Sometimes I set the camera to BW though, so I can see the preview in BW. In-camera processing settings affect the jpeg displayed on the LCD, but aren't permanent to the raw file. When the raw file is opened in the raw processing software what ever the default processing parameters for the software are will be applied, meaning it usually turns back into color.

Excellent reply Henry.
I do convert from color but you do whatever works for you.

11 years 1 month ago #274998 by Marte
I know that now days in the digital era it is easier and gives a lot more control shoot in RAW or JPEG in color and then go to your favorite software and do the conversion.

B&W (at least for me) is not "style" , it is indeed an obsession... :P

For me works this way on camera : I got my profiles done in the computer , uploaded to the camera (Color space is always Adobe RGB 1998) and love to use real glass filters in front of my lenses . I know... I know... people go like "WTH?!?!!" But hey , it works for me and have a lot of fun trying different color and tones filters , graduated neutral density , starfilters and soft focus etc.

It is like going back to film good old days only now you can see , correct and re-take right away what you just have taken.

After that post prod is mostly dodge and burn and one last step that almost everybody I know miss (most important if you are going to print) is to convert your image into a real B&W . This means (in Photohop) go to Edit , Convert to profile and in the dialogue window select "Working gray - Gray gama 2.2" (This can not be reversed once done).
This is mostly because if you leave your picture in RGB or sRGB printers will automatically simulate blacks mixing all other colors , meanwhile if your picture is a gray gama only printers automatically "know" you require to use black and gray ink only.
That said , this is the reason when you print a B&W (or al least look so on screen) most of the times will come green and white or reddish or with a yellow tone and all those will give a metamerism ( prints tend to change colors depending on the environmental light) problem that can not be corrected unless you properly re-print for B&W only.

As far as I know the best you can get for B&W conversion (if you go the traditional digital way) is NIK software , those guys are THE GUYS for B&W conversion software.

I hope this helps a bit .
Cheers!
M.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024