1ST Black and White

12 years 6 months ago #149927 by ChasDennis
Any suggestions? This is my 1st attempt . Just learning about photography also.

Thanks

Charlie Dennis

[/i]

Attachments:
12 years 6 months ago #150322 by photobod
Its not a bad first attempt but the bird looks very blown out so I would address that in your original then try again. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago #150334 by butterflygirl921
Get some more grays in there... Black and White doesn't mean just black and white you need some values....but overall as a first attempt its not that bad

12 years 6 months ago #152088 by PT Admin

photobod wrote: Its not a bad first attempt but the bird looks very blown out so I would address that in your original then try again. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:agree:

New to the forum? Please read the forum rules at www.photographytalk.com/terms-of-use
12 years 6 months ago #152137 by ChasDennis
Please describe what BLOW OUT Means.

Thanks Again

Charlie Dennis

12 years 6 months ago #152139 by robbie

ChasDennis wrote: Please describe what BLOW OUT Means.

Thanks Again

Charlie Dennis

Blow out means that the 'whites' are overexposed.In this shot your camera exposed for the dark background and not taking the white bird into consideration which is in the sunlight.Try using the minus exposure compensation[-ec] to avoid the blow out of the bird.How much to use is dependant on the brightness of the sun hitting the bird,it`s a difficult shooting scene so it`s best to shoot 'raw' with bracketing on.T o access the 'exposure compensation' press the button with the -+ on your camera.

12 years 6 months ago #152324 by MLKstudios
Could also be something you did in post. Often times people apply "actions" or some other shortcut that pushes the tones outside the 0-255 range.

Best to start with a good color version before converting. Something with a good tonal range.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 6 months ago #152536 by ChasDennis
How can one tell if the picture is blown out. I am asking because I don't know what you see. All I see is a white bird. I am asking so I know what to look for . Then I will be able to correct this and end up with a better picture.

Thanks

Charlie

12 years 6 months ago #152541 by VT Hiker

MLKstudios wrote: ... pushes the tones outside the 0-255 range.

What does that mean? How does one go less than 0 or more than 255?

ChasDennis wrote: How can one tell if the picture is blown out.

When there is no texture or detail, essentially a white - or black, for that matter - blob. If you were to go back and look at that bird again, you would see features in the feathers, but they did not end up in your image because they were outside the camera's 'dynamic range' [at that exposure]. Short of metal shining in the sun or some other extreme situation, there should always be details for you to capture, provided you are shooting with an acceptable exposure.

If you want to step into it WAY deep read up on the "zone system". It will teach you more than you ever thought there was to know, or wanted to know, about exposures. :lol:

Every moment of light and dark is a miracle. - Walt Whitman
12 years 6 months ago #152565 by Stealthy Ninja
automatically reminded me of this:
12 years 6 months ago #153293 by rob vorderman
Charlie, after taken the picture, check the histogram. Press the Info button, on the back of your camera.
If the graph is to the left the picture is under exposed, to the right over exposed.

Rob.

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #153294 by MLKstudios
Ideally the histogram "mountain" should be almost, but not quite, touching the right edge.

We call that ETTR (Expose To The Right), which maximises digital data without blowouts.

I still think the problem here was caused in post. I imagine the orignal has details in the whites.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 6 months ago #154348 by ChasDennis
I want to thank all of you for all your advice.

With all of this my 2nd blk and white should turn out better.

The Problem was with the original picture. Exposure was to much to the right.

Charlie

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024