Please let me know what you think

9 years 11 months ago #158185 by hedgie6
Please let me know what you think of this photo. It is cropped and converted to grayscale. I drive past this old barn almost every day and have always wanted to stop and take photos of it. When I saw it in the fog, I had to stop and try to capture the mood I felt.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 11 months ago #158190 by TheNissanMan
It looks like a very old photo as there is little detail and it is quite noisy (is it a heavy crop)?

Love the look of the building though.

The following user(s) said Thank You: hedgie6

9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #158195 by McBeth Photography
I like the barn, and the idea....you've got a really good shot in the making.

Once I find a location like this, I like to just stand there and take it all in. And then there is no harm in shooting the barn at various times in the early morning hours and the late evening hours. Also think about different perspectives, maybe ask the land owner for permission to get a little closer the barn for some detail shots, the sky is the limit!

In this shot the grayscale adds a chilling feel to it, which is great if that's what you're going for....but I would like to see a little color or sepia....but that's just me.

It is what it is.

9 years 11 months ago #158325 by RogerS
Was it taken in the rain? I love the barn and the setting. This location should be on the list for repeat visits.

9 years 11 months ago #158345 by Dori
I like this one. I agree about the aged look to it. :judge:

Don't pi$$ me off, I am running out of room to store the bodies...

Resident Texasotan...

9 years 11 months ago #158361 by photobod
yes its a superb scene and well worth stopping in different light situations, this looks a little flat to me.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

9 years 10 months ago #161060 by Gyro_Gearloose
I think you have done a great job in capturing the scene, having a little noise in the image is really not an issue, just think of it as trying to simulate film. also fog will sometimes contribute noise in an image, good composition as well. well done. :thumbsup:

9 years 10 months ago #161109 by Rob pix4u2
I love the concept and the fog. I would make this a repeat visit site as the others have said to see it under different lighting and maybe bring out the details in the barn a bit better. Maybe get the shot with a telephoto to compress the background a bit.

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

9 years 10 months ago #161122 by hedgie6
Thank you to everyone for your comments. I will be watching this setting for future visits, we are expecting snow this week so i will definitly be stopping to see how it looks. I liked the fog because i have noticed power lines and other distractions in the background. I am not skilled enough with editing software to remove things after i take a photo. I have the color version and will post it soon. I will leave a link to it here. The barn is set off the road a little bit and the gate in front of the house does not look like unannounced visitors are welcome.

Again, thanks for the comments and suggestions.

9 years 10 months ago #161231 by Stealthy Ninja
needs more contrast or exposure adjustments. The blacks look gray.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 II is now six years old, but despite that, it still has many capabilities and features that make it a good option for today's beginner and enthusiast photographers.

Sep 17, 2021

The Nikon Z50 is a high-quality and affordable camera. Learn about the Nikon Z50 pros, cons, specs, and pricing in this quick guide.

Sep 16, 2021

The Canon PowerShot G5 X II isn't a professional camera by any means, but if you're looking for a small, capable, compact camera, this might be the one for you.

Sep 02, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

When buying a metal print, there are tons of options to think about. In this metal print buyer's guide, learn what to look for in a metal print.

Sep 22, 2021

Use these commercial real estate photography tips to create compelling images that accurately and artfully portray commercial spaces.

Sep 22, 2021

In the latest installment of our holiday gift guides, we present some great gifts for photographers that are all priced at $25 or less.

Sep 22, 2021

What kind of monitor should you have for video work? There's a great debate between on-camera vs field monitors - let's see which is best for you.

Sep 21, 2021

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021

If you aren't sure what the difference between photo restoration and photo retouching is, check out this quick explainer guideline.

Sep 20, 2021

With these accessories for micro four-thirds cameras, you'll be able to improve your workflow and expand the functionality of your camera.

Sep 17, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 II is now six years old, but despite that, it still has many capabilities and features that make it a good option for today's beginner and enthusiast photographers.

Sep 17, 2021