Old Farm House

9 years 11 months ago #173789 by lesanne45

what to do to make this a better shot?

lesannesphotography.com
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 11 months ago #173794 by Gary Trent photography
Too busy. (branches)
Maybe a diff angle?
or photo the detail ie: upper window etc.
good in b&w tho

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #173821 by icepics
I'd try different vantage points - walk around and try getting different shots, maybe with some of the branches out of the picture. A little more foreground would help too I think. I'm noticing some interesting shadows on the house from the branches, maybe framing the shot so you notice those more instead of the branches would make for a more interesting photo.

The conversions to B&W tend to look more grayscale than truly B&W so it might need some adjustment.

Sharon
Photo Comments

9 years 11 months ago #173824 by litaliangod
What normally anyone would comment on this is the branches !! They cover this beautiful farm house / mansion. And as all the others who commented, I too would walk arround this structure to get a better angle so as to get the entire building without any mess. Since this structure is a bit tall, going near to this and shooting it in entire would not be a good idea....but worth a try !

Capturing your imagination !

9 years 11 months ago #175480 by lit-photography08
try different side view, the branches are distracted with the beauty of the house.:thumbsup:

9 years 11 months ago #178727 by Trilby
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you're going for a quaint and rural kind of feel....? If so, I tend to agree with what everyone else has said.

However, if I was photographing that scene, all I'd look for dark and moody 'Southern Gothic' kind of feel. And, as such, I actually quite like the branches and the shadows they're casting on the wall, but they'd need to be included so as not to distract from the rest of the scene so much. If I'd shot from that perspective, I might have composed it all a bit more to the left so some of the bush would be hidden, but you'd still get the shadows on the wall.

But looking at it, if you moved a bit to the right, and in a bit closer, you'd probably be able to get the shadows on the house without the bush.

Another way of saying all this is, refine your concept, makes for a better shot every time. :)

There is no black & white; it's all 18% grey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lesanne45

9 years 11 months ago #179249 by lesanne45
I have tried other angles since taking this shot and have found that because the bush sits right in front of the house and is actually as tall as the house I just can't get around it. I have concluded (but may be wrong) this house was a poor subject to choose. but I just love its character minus the bush.

lesannesphotography.com

9 years 11 months ago #179250 by Gary Trent photography
@ lesanne45

I wouldn't completely "abandon" the idea of this being
a great subject to photo.
If you live near by, try diff. times of the year.
Maybe in summer when the tree has leaves?
Maybe farther back to include some of it's surroundings?
Maybe with snow?
Maybe with an old car in front, or people walking?
Work with it !

One thing for sure .... keep it straight.
This image is tilting to the left ...... (a no,no)
It might be old, but not that old . . . . LOL

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

whazit2u.multiply.com/

The following user(s) said Thank You: lesanne45

9 years 11 months ago #179262 by lesanne45

Gary Trent photography wrote: @ lesanne45

I wouldn't completely "abandon" the idea of this being
a great subject to photo.
If you live near by, try diff. times of the year.
Maybe in summer when the tree has leaves?
Maybe farther back to include some of it's surroundings?
Maybe with snow?
Maybe with an old car in front, or people walking?
Work with it !

One thing for sure .... keep it straight.
This image is tilting to the left ...... (a no,no)
It might be old, but not that old . . . . LOL

Thank you I will try all of these

lesannesphotography.com

9 years 11 months ago #179271 by Gary Trent photography
Just hope that I (we) are of some help.
good photography to you lesanne45

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

whazit2u.multiply.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D3X is a 13-year-old high-end camera. The question is, does it still have what it takes to be a pro-level camera in 2021? The answer might surprise you.

Nov 19, 2021

The Canon EOS Rebel SL1 was the smallest DSLR on the market when it came out in 2013. Is it still a decent option for photographers in 2021? Let's find out!

Nov 04, 2021

The Nikon D4 is nearly a decade old, but despite its age, it still offers a lot of features and benefits for professional and amateur photographers alike.

Nov 03, 2021

The sony a7s might be seven years old, but the camera's specs, features, design, and price make it a worthy option for shooting photos (and video!) in 2021.

Oct 22, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

If you're looking for some smokin' Black Friday photography deals, we've got a great list of gear that you can get for HUGE savings!

Nov 24, 2021

Use these simple tips to learn how to photograph real estate during the holidays without stressing yourself (or your clients) out.

Nov 24, 2021

How large should I print my photo? This is a very common question, and one with an answer that is a little more complex than you might think.

Nov 24, 2021

If you're looking for the perfect stocking stuffer for photographers, look no further than the HoldFast Indestructible Journal.

Nov 24, 2021

There are actually quite a few ways to save money when buying photography gear. Check this list to find out three of our favorite money-saving methods.

Nov 23, 2021

In the 2021 edition of our Mpix metal print review, we'll take a look at whether this popular online printing company has prints that are worth your hard-earned cash.

Nov 22, 2021

These real estate photography tips for homeowners will help you perfect your approach to photographing your home - and photographing it well to get it sold.

Nov 22, 2021

There are many reasons why a metal print is a great holiday gift for photographers. Check out this guide to learn the benefits of printing on metal!

Nov 22, 2021