How to get Black and whites to pop better

9 years 10 months ago #180825 by tkguess
I use Lightroom mostly and if I boost the contrast to make it crisper I lose details. I am not good at black and white. What subjects are best in black and white?

TK
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 10 months ago #180946 by Rathers
The two photos you posted are awesome in B&W. :judge: B&W photos is about contrast. Is the subject set apart from the rest of the shot? If so, usually it will look good in B&W.

9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #181060 by icepics
I haven't done B&W digital but a good bit of film and darkroom. I see what you mean, maybe it's the software, or your camera settings need some adjustment.

Usually when I'm shooting B&W I try to notice if there's some contrast in the scene, that everything isn't the same shade so your photo has some dark and light and not all mid-grays.

Sharon
Photo Comments

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #205607 by Arkangel7x3
Not sure what i can say as far as it being digital B&W. HOWEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRR if this was film the first thing I would tell you is 1. Use a medium range film like 200-400 I advise to use what we use in my photography class Kodak 400TX this helps reduce the grain on the film. Second do something called "pulling" the film this is something film cameras have a benefit over digital s. Pulling the film is when you set the ISO lower then the rated films speed for example taking 400 film and setting the ISO on the camera for 200. The reason why would you do this is because B&W film only gets about 9 shades of grey in which it can operate normally by pulling the film it allows it to see 11 shades of grey and its much more crisp and less grainy which in turn sharpens your contrast. The optimal settings for 400TX film is normally 200 ISO at 125 and then adjusting your aperture as needed. When using the film cameras and shooting in low light and or overcast or anything in the shade when you use the light sensor gauge( the little needle or line located on the side of the view) is to take the reading from your shadow or the shadow of the item your photographing for the best exposure possible. When shooting B&W i recommend film just make sure you find a photo lab that knows what their doing when their enlarging the photo

"If it's to good to be true best to shoot it again"

9 years 7 months ago #205824 by seanajsimmons
You could try a product like Nik Software's Silver Efex Pro. Nik has a great suite of plugins for Photoshop, Lightroom and Aperture. I also believe they work Photoshop Elements. Check their website for free trials. SEP2 as its knows has a great variety of presets already made and a host of tools to tweak to your taste. Their "U Point" technology allows you to isolate specific tones in your image to adjust things like contrast, white point, black point etc. I also suggest you shoot in colour and convert to black&white after to retain the subtle colour tones in your image. I've got a few B&W's on my profile that were mostly converted using Silver Efex if you want to get an idea. Also I really like your images you posted except you might clone out the lurker in the kissing shot, otherwise nice work.

9 years 7 months ago #205950 by Baydream
Digital Photo mag has a good article on B&W conversion using PS, Lightroom and Aperture. Worth the quick read.
www.dpmag.com/how-to/image-processing/fr...gn=DPeNewsFeb_022912

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

9 years 7 months ago #205963 by Scotty
Number 1 is probably the creepiest pic i've seen in a long time. Good job.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

9 years 7 months ago #206806 by ruppert812
Very good B & W. interesting subjests

9 years 7 months ago #208144 by Hussain Al Mousa
Very good shots :)

I am just a guy with a camera...

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The FujiFilm X-E4 is a newer camera, having been released earlier this year. But it's also an affordable camera - particularly if you buy it used.

Oct 05, 2021

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 II is now six years old, but despite that, it still has many capabilities and features that make it a good option for today's beginner and enthusiast photographers.

Sep 17, 2021

The Nikon Z50 is a high-quality and affordable camera. Learn about the Nikon Z50 pros, cons, specs, and pricing in this quick guide.

Sep 16, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Use these tips to learn a few basics for editing real estate photos that entice buyers to purchase properties.

Oct 14, 2021

What makes a good camera strap? What should you look for in a camera strap? Surprisingly, it's a more complex process than you might think!

Oct 14, 2021

Want to take better portraits? In this guide, learn a few tricks of the trade that will help you instantly improve the quality of the portraits you create.

Oct 13, 2021

There are many options when it comes to the best Olympus lenses for landscape photography, but in this guide, we narrow it down to three top choices.

Oct 12, 2021

In this portrait photography tutorial, you'll learn a few tricks on how to plan a portrait photoshoot that gets you the best results (and the happiest clients!).

Oct 11, 2021

The GoPro 10 is an ideal action camera for taking high-octane videos, but it's also great for photography. Learn a few tips for taking photos with a GoPro in this tutorial.

Oct 08, 2021

If you shoot video, you need an Atomos Ninja V. It offers much in the way of expanded capabilities and tools for improving the quality of your videos.

Oct 08, 2021

Use these fall photography tips for real estate to capitalize on the beautiful fall colors to make your listing photos really stand out.

Oct 08, 2021