Which is better?

12 years 1 month ago #210747 by JanOD
I don't often make my photos black and white, but this one seemed to fit. It had been raining for days. Finally the sun tried to peek out and I decided to take a few shots. It was still dark and dismal, and you could see rain in the distance - it was coming. Then I saw this little tree with the clouds around it, and took a snap. The original was mostly shades of grey anyway, so I decided to try B & W processing. The only difference between these two images is that I raised the exposure in one. I lost some detail in the clouds, but it seemed to bring out the tree better with the lighter background.

Any thoughts?

All critique would be most appreciated!

Thank you!

Janice ~~~~~~~ Life is like a camera. Focus on what's important, capture the good things...and if things don't work out, just take another shot.
Attachments:
12 years 1 month ago #210752 by geoffellis
i can /barely/ see a difference... but if i had to choose, id probably like the top/first one better. the slightly lower contrast between the black and the whites seems to work better for the photo i think
12 years 1 month ago #210754 by Stealthy Ninja
Have you heard of curves? If so, try adjusting curves.

12 years 1 month ago #210770 by geoffellis

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Have you heard of curves?

I love me a woman with curves :)
12 years 1 month ago #210773 by Stealthy Ninja

geoffellis wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Have you heard of curves?

I love me a woman with curves :)

12 years 1 month ago #210786 by John Landolfi
Try your exposure adjustment on a duplicate layer with a black mask. Then paint in the adjustment with a white brush. By controlling the opacity of the brush, you can put in the exposure increment just on the tree, without losing the cloud detail.:cheers:

Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #210806 by JanOD
Hehehe, geoffellis and Stealthy Ninja, you guys crack me up! :silly:

Thanks for your opinion, geoffellis, it's really helpful. It's good to know it doesn't make that much difference. I tended toward the darker one too, but I didn't know why.

And yes, Stealthy Ninja, I have heard of and even used curves some, but it seems to cause a grainy look if I'm not careful. I just play with it, and don't move too much. The tutorial will be quite helpful. Thanks you!

And thank you, John, for your suggestion! It is well above my skill level though, I don't know how to do layers yet. I really need to concentrate on learning that soon, though. It seems that a lot of my post processing problems can be solved in this way. I think I really need to sit in Photoshop school for a while, there is so much to learn!

Thanks again, all of you for your comments and suggestions!

Janice ~~~~~~~ Life is like a camera. Focus on what's important, capture the good things...and if things don't work out, just take another shot.
12 years 1 month ago #210899 by IO0R
Well I do see a difference between the two images, but only a slight difference. Honestly, I think the photo is too dark overall to be B&W.

12 years 1 month ago #210909 by geoffellis

IO0R wrote: Honestly, I think the photo is too dark overall to be B&W.

I disagree. I think this is a perfect use for b&w. To be honest i believe this photo in colour would be drab and boring.

I would have liked to see a long exposure however, for this scene. Not sure how the boat would look... but id be curious to see how it would turn out.
12 years 1 month ago #210963 by icepics
I don't see a huge difference either, but I like the second one as it seems brighter, I think that shows the silhouette of the tree more. That's why I think this works, because it seems to be more a silhouette against the changing sky, and it's a nice composition.

I do B&W film and the digital conversions to me often seem more grayscale. Learning darkroom work I learned to look for a 'black-black' and a 'white-white' somewhere in the image (not usually in reflections, highlights etc.), and it's a guideline that usually works for me.

You said this was mostly gray anyway, which I'm thinking was because the sky and clouds were gray and white and the tree was almost black in the existing light. Usually when I'm shooting B&W I try to look at the tones rather than the color in a scene or subject, if the shades of colors are similar it's more likely to give a gray image rather than nice B&W contrast.

Sharon
Photo Comments
12 years 1 month ago #211058 by CONRAD
I have been looking for a tutorial using channels
I have it on my computer but can't put it on here or find it on the web ..... I am still looking

anyway both have something good in them

Conrad
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #211061 by CONRAD
ok that did not work :angry:

Conrad
12 years 1 month ago #211063 by CONRAD

Conrad
12 years 1 month ago #211358 by JanOD
Thank you, everyone, for your responses!

This is the original untouched photo:

As you see, drab, dark, mostly grey, except the slight green of the grass. I chose the darker one to work, thinking it would do better on B & W. But I did take a second shot, different camera settings, and better compo.

Taking some of the suggestions from above, I worked it quickly last night:

I'm not sure if it's any better, but thought I'd post it up here anyway.

I've watched the B & W tutorial just now, but can't have the sound on at the moment (I will listen later). Thanks! I have tried to do this manually, but always seem to get a lot of grain when I do it, so I just use 'Auto', and then play a little in things like 'contrast' and 'highlights/shadows", this time 'curves'. I'll see what the tutorial has to say about this.

Thanks again everybody! You have all been very helpful!

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024