Which is better?

9 years 7 months ago #210747 by JanOD
I don't often make my photos black and white, but this one seemed to fit. It had been raining for days. Finally the sun tried to peek out and I decided to take a few shots. It was still dark and dismal, and you could see rain in the distance - it was coming. Then I saw this little tree with the clouds around it, and took a snap. The original was mostly shades of grey anyway, so I decided to try B & W processing. The only difference between these two images is that I raised the exposure in one. I lost some detail in the clouds, but it seemed to bring out the tree better with the lighter background.

Any thoughts?

All critique would be most appreciated!

Thank you!

Janice ~~~~~~~ Life is like a camera. Focus on what's important, capture the good things...and if things don't work out, just take another shot.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 7 months ago #210752 by geoffellis
i can /barely/ see a difference... but if i had to choose, id probably like the top/first one better. the slightly lower contrast between the black and the whites seems to work better for the photo i think

9 years 7 months ago #210754 by Stealthy Ninja
Have you heard of curves? If so, try adjusting curves.

9 years 7 months ago #210770 by geoffellis

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Have you heard of curves?

I love me a woman with curves :)

9 years 7 months ago #210773 by Stealthy Ninja

geoffellis wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Have you heard of curves?

I love me a woman with curves :)

9 years 7 months ago #210786 by John Landolfi
Try your exposure adjustment on a duplicate layer with a black mask. Then paint in the adjustment with a white brush. By controlling the opacity of the brush, you can put in the exposure increment just on the tree, without losing the cloud detail.:cheers:

Photo Comments

9 years 7 months ago #210806 by JanOD
Hehehe, geoffellis and Stealthy Ninja, you guys crack me up! :silly:

Thanks for your opinion, geoffellis, it's really helpful. It's good to know it doesn't make that much difference. I tended toward the darker one too, but I didn't know why.

And yes, Stealthy Ninja, I have heard of and even used curves some, but it seems to cause a grainy look if I'm not careful. I just play with it, and don't move too much. The tutorial will be quite helpful. Thanks you!

And thank you, John, for your suggestion! It is well above my skill level though, I don't know how to do layers yet. I really need to concentrate on learning that soon, though. It seems that a lot of my post processing problems can be solved in this way. I think I really need to sit in Photoshop school for a while, there is so much to learn!

Thanks again, all of you for your comments and suggestions!

Janice ~~~~~~~ Life is like a camera. Focus on what's important, capture the good things...and if things don't work out, just take another shot.

9 years 7 months ago #210899 by IO0R
Well I do see a difference between the two images, but only a slight difference. Honestly, I think the photo is too dark overall to be B&W.

9 years 7 months ago #210909 by geoffellis

IO0R wrote: Honestly, I think the photo is too dark overall to be B&W.

I disagree. I think this is a perfect use for b&w. To be honest i believe this photo in colour would be drab and boring.

I would have liked to see a long exposure however, for this scene. Not sure how the boat would look... but id be curious to see how it would turn out.

9 years 7 months ago #210963 by icepics
I don't see a huge difference either, but I like the second one as it seems brighter, I think that shows the silhouette of the tree more. That's why I think this works, because it seems to be more a silhouette against the changing sky, and it's a nice composition.

I do B&W film and the digital conversions to me often seem more grayscale. Learning darkroom work I learned to look for a 'black-black' and a 'white-white' somewhere in the image (not usually in reflections, highlights etc.), and it's a guideline that usually works for me.

You said this was mostly gray anyway, which I'm thinking was because the sky and clouds were gray and white and the tree was almost black in the existing light. Usually when I'm shooting B&W I try to look at the tones rather than the color in a scene or subject, if the shades of colors are similar it's more likely to give a gray image rather than nice B&W contrast.

Sharon
Photo Comments

9 years 7 months ago #211058 by CONRAD
I have been looking for a tutorial using channels
I have it on my computer but can't put it on here or find it on the web ..... I am still looking

anyway both have something good in them

Conrad

9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #211061 by CONRAD
ok that did not work :angry:

Conrad

9 years 7 months ago #211063 by CONRAD

Conrad

9 years 7 months ago #211358 by JanOD
Thank you, everyone, for your responses!

This is the original untouched photo:

As you see, drab, dark, mostly grey, except the slight green of the grass. I chose the darker one to work, thinking it would do better on B & W. But I did take a second shot, different camera settings, and better compo.

Taking some of the suggestions from above, I worked it quickly last night:

I'm not sure if it's any better, but thought I'd post it up here anyway.

I've watched the B & W tutorial just now, but can't have the sound on at the moment (I will listen later). Thanks! I have tried to do this manually, but always seem to get a lot of grain when I do it, so I just use 'Auto', and then play a little in things like 'contrast' and 'highlights/shadows", this time 'curves'. I'll see what the tutorial has to say about this.

Thanks again everybody! You have all been very helpful!

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS 7D is well over a decade old, but if you're a beginner photographer looking for a first camera or even an enthusiast that needs a second body, the 7D might be a good fit.

Oct 19, 2021

The FujiFilm X-E4 is a newer camera, having been released earlier this year. But it's also an affordable camera - particularly if you buy it used.

Oct 05, 2021

Are used cameras worth it? Though there are some risks, there are many more benefits of buying used cameras. Learn why you should shop used in this guide!

Sep 20, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 II is now six years old, but despite that, it still has many capabilities and features that make it a good option for today's beginner and enthusiast photographers.

Sep 17, 2021

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Not only is this camera harness able to carry multiple cameras, but it's also a cotton camera strap that's hugely comfortable to wear.

Oct 22, 2021

Not sure how to use a light meter? With this guide, you'll learn all about different kinds of light meters and how to use them to create improved images.

Oct 21, 2021

By using the real estate photography technologies outlined in this article, you'll have the firepower you need to create beautiful images and videos of properties.

Oct 20, 2021

Displaying your photos in physical form is a great way to get potential clients interested in your work. Learn how to create a gallery display of your images in this quick guide.

Oct 20, 2021

The Canon EOS 7D is well over a decade old, but if you're a beginner photographer looking for a first camera or even an enthusiast that needs a second body, the 7D might be a good fit.

Oct 19, 2021

Use these simple product photography tips to improve the quality of your photos and create images that make customers want to buy the product.

Oct 19, 2021

You might have heard "medium format" before, but what does it mean? Learn all about medium format cameras in this beginner's guide.

Oct 19, 2021

Learning how to make more money in photography means that you need to learn what photography add-ons to offer your clients.

Oct 18, 2021