Venturing out

11 years 5 months ago #260838 by f2uk
I tend not to post many pictures, I suppose it is the fear of not being good enough. But when it comes down to it if no one sees them then no one can help me get better.
So here goes, a few sample B&W images for your perusal.

I'd appreciate any comments/critique, and I'll try not to get upset :blink:

I know this one is a little blown out on the left but, to be honest, that's how it was when I saw the shot ... the light coming from that side was very powerful.

With so much rain this year it was inevitable that I would finally get this shot ... just a shame the spider wasn't on his 'A' game when making the web!

Basically what our summer has been all about!

Don't know why .... I just like this one.

All comments gratefully received, you never know it might prompt me to post more ;)

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried!
Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago #260993 by garyrhook
For me

#1) I like this one, but I would suggest boosting the contrast or sharpness to add emphasis to the tree. The eye is drawn to the foreground fenceposts and the highlight in the upper left. Some PP will serve to balance out the image. While I'm not a huge fan of centering things, I like the composition here.

#2) Sharp. Pretty. Perhaps it could be a bit brighter?

#3) The droplet is nicely in focus, but whatever that is in the background on the right is distracting. Also, square crop with a centered leaf doesn't work for me.

#4) The texture is nice, but I think this sort of shot really needs something to break up the pattern.

I like the tones in all of them.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: f2uk
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #261582 by jlwrz
I chuckled at your reason for apprehension at posting pics. I felt like that when I began posting pics online also for the same reason of posting them! But no matter what anyone says or critque(kindly) you will become comfortable with your line of photography and will take heed to some advice-for me when it comes down to it. There will always be someone who won't like it and there those who will like...Just keep on pluggin away!!! :)

1)It's difficult to get the right contrast with sun and fog. Too much then you don't see the mood of the fog, to little makes a little bland. I like the curve of the fenceline which makes the tree centered nicely.

2)The spider web drops, i love it. Could use a little contrast to make those drops pop and play around with contrast too!

3)I like the droplet-I would probably play around for the comp of it, such as crop it up(more space down below and little less atop with perhaps some side taken off,too.) and for me maybe a little more contrast.

4)I wasn't sure what it was. I'm guessing raindrops hitting a water surface? It looks abstracty to me with nice textures.

Now these suggestion are what I might do. But remember there is a reason why you like photography-Go with what is appealing to you!

The following user(s) said Thank You: f2uk
11 years 5 months ago #261586 by f2uk

jlwrz wrote: I chuckled at your reason for apprehension at posting pics. I felt like that when I began posting pics online also for the same reason of posting them! But no matter what anyone says or critque(kindly) you will become comfortable with your line of photography and will take heed to some advice-for me when it comes down to it. There will always be someone who won't like it and there those who will like...Just keep on pluggin away!!! :)

1)It's difficult to get the right contrast with sun and fog. Too much then you don't see the mood of the fog, to little makes a little bland. I like the curve of the fenceline which makes the tree centered nicely.

2)The spider web drops, i love it. Could use a little contrast to make those drops pop and play around with contrast too!

3)I like the droplet-I would probably play around for the comp of it, such as crop it up(more space down below and little less atop with perhaps some side taken off,too.) and for me maybe a little more contrast.

4)I wasn't sure what it was. I'm guessing raindrops hitting a water surface? It looks abstracty to me with nice textures.

Now these suggestion are what I might do. But remember there is a reason why you like photography-Go with what is appealing to you!

thanks for your reply. I
M not sure if it is something to do with this site or that fact I am viewing it on an iPad but the photos don't seem as bright and punchy as the originals. Even my profile picture looks out of focus, and the original is definitely not!

I was a bit restricted with the crop to number 3 as it is part of a set of three, along with the spider web and a day lily, in square frames. Together they work well, on here it is a bit out of context.

Number 4 is actually a thatched roof of a miniature building in a theme park in Sweden. One of the reasons I like the pic is that it is not obvious what it is right away.

I will keep plugging away, when all is said and done this is a hobby not a job :)

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024