Decatur, Georgia Street Scene

11 years 2 months ago #270205 by Shadowfixer1

Just messing around with the new computer and monitor to see if I can get a feel for how it's doing.
11 years 2 months ago #270206 by McBeth Photography
Wow, nice sharp street scene! Nice work Randy....

PS. could you get someone to feed the dog? ;)

It is what it is.
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #270210 by Shadowfixer1
I walked by the dog and it was very old and had a hard time moving around. There is another dog with them that you can't see.

The image appears a little dark now that I see it here. I need to play around with this machine some more. I went back and looked at the original large file and it doesn't seem to be this dark. Hmmmm.
11 years 2 months ago #270213 by McBeth Photography

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I walked by the dog and it was very old and had a hard time moving around. There is another dog with them that you can't see.

The image appears a little dark now that I see it here. I need to play around with this machine some more.

Hmm, not sure that I am seeing an underexposed shot here Randy, I think that the gray tones are looking great and the shadows look right too. :)

It is what it is.
11 years 2 months ago #270236 by KCook
With Chrome the exposure is Ok. Could use a little more contrast.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 2 months ago #270260 by Shadowfixer1

KCook wrote: With Chrome the exposure is Ok. Could use a little more contrast.

Kelly

Interesting. I thought this was a very contrasty image to begin with. Different tastes I guess. I tried your suggestion of adding contrast but I didn't like it. Thanks for the input though.
11 years 2 months ago #270963 by bluesydude
I like the perspective of the shot. The b&w seems fine to me.

Focused on photography
Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #270964 by garyrhook
For me, it could use more tonal range and contrast. Everything seems to be sitting in the middle gray area. Not seeing much in the way of highlights, nor much shadow. Agree that the sharpness is nice.

Gary

www.grhookphoto.com
facebook.com/grhookphoto

Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #271051 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote: For me, it could use more tonal range and contrast. Everything seems to be sitting in the middle gray area. Not seeing much in the way of highlights, nor much shadow. Agree that the sharpness is nice.
Gary

www.grhookphoto.com
facebook.com/grhookphoto

I have to say I'm surprised by the shadow comment. Look at the woman walking and the lady's pants next to the dog. Those are some intense blacks. I may be able to pop the white's a little more but when you add more contrast to the dark portions, a lot of the image starts blocking up with no detail. It's good to hear other opinions, but I will have to disagree on dark contrast portions of this image
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #271064 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I have to say I'm surprised by the shadow comment. Look at the woman walking and the lady's pants next to the dog. Those are some intense blacks. I may be able to pop the white's a little more but when you add more contrast to the dark portions, a lot of the image starts blocking up with no detail. It's good to hear other opinions, but I will have to disagree on dark contrast portions of this image

I didn't explain myself very well. Yes, there are dark shadows; there just aren't enough of them relative to the midtones. I brought the image into PS and the histogram drops quickly in the lighter half of the range. A quick levels adjustment and I got this, which to my eye pops a bit more. No contrast changes, just levels.

Oh, and I leveled it ;-) The PT compression doesn't do it justice. In PS I could still see the folds of the woman's coat (?) (next to the emaciated dog).

Gary

www.grhookphoto.com
facebook.com/grhookphoto

Photo Comments
Attachments:
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #271096 by hghlndr6
I did the same thing, Gary, but you beat me to the post. ;) I thought the original image had some black but practically no white. From my B&W darkroom days, I want to see some real black and some real white. I set a black point on the coat of the woman in the center and a white point on the brightest part of the car door to her right . Just a levels adjustment ... and our results are similar. That procedure is something that I do to virtually every B&W conversion.

EDIT> If you made your levels adjustment "by eye" ... you have a good eye! ;)
11 years 2 months ago #271109 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: I have to say I'm surprised by the shadow comment. Look at the woman walking and the lady's pants next to the dog. Those are some intense blacks. I may be able to pop the white's a little more but when you add more contrast to the dark portions, a lot of the image starts blocking up with no detail. It's good to hear other opinions, but I will have to disagree on dark contrast portions of this image

I didn't explain myself very well. Yes, there are dark shadows; there just aren't enough of them relative to the midtones. I brought the image into PS and the histogram drops quickly in the lighter half of the range. A quick levels adjustment and I got this, which to my eye pops a bit more. No contrast changes, just levels.

Oh, and I leveled it ;-) The PT compression doesn't do it justice. In PS I could still see the folds of the woman's coat (?) (next to the emaciated dog).

Gary

www.grhookphoto.com
facebook.com/grhookphoto

That's what I was referring to in my second post. The image appears dark on this forum, but the image you show is what my original file looks like when I pull it up in Photoshop. I don't know if this is a Photobucket issue or an issue with this forum. Thanks for everybody's input. I appreciate it.
11 years 2 months ago #271124 by Screamin Scott
I think it's an issue with online posting as I have noticed changes as well on my images...BTW, Randy, It was nice talking to you at the Paulding County Photo club meeting the other week !!

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
11 years 2 months ago #271129 by Shadowfixer1

Screamin Scott wrote: I think it's an issue with online posting as I have noticed changes as well on my images...BTW, Randy, It was nice talking to you at the Paulding County Photo club meeting the other week !!

It was good to finally meet in person. I wish I would have had more time to chat. Maybe we will meet again sometime.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024