Square format : "Fishing for hopes" any advise or critique to improve please?

11 years 1 month ago #275198 by Marte
Hi people , I am new to the forum and long time obsessed with B&W´s .
Any opinions on this pic?
It was taken in Taiwan but I have been a self taught so at a technical level I am still wearing diapers and I would love it if you can criticize it as hard and picky as you can (It´s my only way to learn , so please don´t have any mercy :thx2: ).

Title is "Fishing for hopes"

Cheers!
M.

Attachments:
11 years 1 month ago #275222 by John Landolfi
The image works for me. The strong contrast and detail in the sky and sea are a nice foil for the silhouetted foreground and human figure. Do you always title your photos?

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #275223 by Marte
Hi John:

I try to give a "feeling" to the ones I print so some of them have a title (feel free to :rofl: ). haha! ;)
This one is a 1x1mts on canvas and it is on my living room after an exhibit.

Does anyone else do that here? or should I just post the images and shut up? :P

I´d like to think that an image must give a feeling or inspire a thought.

Thanx.

11 years 1 month ago #275225 by garyrhook
Generally, when seeking comments or critiques, it's probably best to ask specific questions. Which is what you did.

I like the image, the square format works well, and the composition is interesting. I don't know if you darkened/dodged the sky at all, but it looks like you did. I'd like to see more detail in the upper right and left areas.

Overall, however, I find this to be successful.

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #275229 by KCook
Square is rare. It's fun to see a good square composition. Dunno why the sky is so dark on the right side - I would like to see that relieved a little, somehow.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

11 years 1 month ago #275538 by Marte
Hi guys

Well , I tool this straight in monochrome mode because I thought the moonlight looked majestic that night here.
My post processing is basically dodge and burn and in the end convert to gray2.2 color profile for printing (my cameras are set to Adobe RGB1998).

Sadly there was almost no detail to dodge in the upper corners and I didn´t want to push it because it wastaken at high ISO but the print came up fairly good for my taste.

Here is a pic of the print , it´s a 100x100cm on canvas . I have been thinking of re-taking it , but I guess that was one moonlight I will never see again. Let me push it and dodge the upper to see how it goes.

Thank you !

Cheers!!

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024