New Photographer, Looking for critique

6 years 3 months ago #559807 by Toph112
I've only been photographing for 6 months now. Having read much of Bryan's book, I took my first photo using completely manual settings and made sure I saw what I wanted before I clicked the button. I am happy with my first manual shot, but I'm also new. Any critique is appreciated.
Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS REBEL T3i
Lens: EF50mm f/1.8 STM
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/1.8
Shutter speed: 1/4 sec
Captured: Sun, 7 Jan 2018 10:09am

Attachments:
6 years 2 months ago #566944 by Rohan Tushar
beautiful shots! She looks so adorable! I think the back light is too strong creating a shadow in the face.

6 years 2 months ago #566955 by G Vernon
Very nice natural pose and congrats on tackling manual, can i ask you where you metered for the shot as the background appears much brighter than the subject. The shutter speed is also very low, adding a little off cam flash will subtly place some light on her gorgeous little face :-)

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #567220 by Kira Minori
Yup! GJ said it all! 

6 years 2 months ago #567264 by Bob S.
You guys are right in what you say, but 2 minutes in Photoshop would fix 95% of the problems. With Toph112's permission I'd be happy to post an example. Bob.

6 years 2 months ago #567297 by Paul-Rossi
I agree with Bob S.

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #567299 by garyrhook
Clearly post is called for. But it won't address the primary issue of softness. The image suffers from camera movement blur.

For the OP (who will likely never see this) the general rule of thumb is that your shutter speed is at least 1/focal length. For this, that means that you wanted 1/50s to get your subject in focus. Also, the lack of light means that you have what appears to be a noisy image, even though you were at ISO 100 and f/1.8 (wide open). Better to push your ISO than slow down your shutter (unless you're using a tripod). Also cropping the image to get her out of the center, and loose the shadows top and right, would be helpful.

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #567300 by Bob S.
Gary, I hope Toph112 doesn't mind, but my thoughts were very similar, here's 3 minutes in Photoshop.

Attachments:
6 years 2 months ago #567322 by garyrhook
Standard convention: we don't post example edits without the express approval of the original photographer.

Not just me, not just here. It's just not done.

Photo Comments
6 years 2 months ago #567398 by Bob S.
No problem, never again.

6 years 3 weeks ago #575200 by Nicolerin
Yes, it is the good shot for a new photographer. You have to practice more to become a popular and perfect photographer. My brother is a very popular photographer in Singapore for his more practice. Now he is working at Singaporeaerialphotography.com as an aerial photographer. Now he has 7 years experience in aerial photography. 

5 years 9 months ago #592003 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: Standard convention: we don't post example edits without the express approval of the original photographer.

This is the answer I was looking for!
Thanks Gary!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 9 months ago #593065 by Higbee
First Time click the great :lol:

5 years 9 months ago #593675 by Breanna Ellington

Bob S. wrote: Gary, I hope Toph112 doesn't mind, but my thoughts were very similar, here's 3 minutes in Photoshop.

This is much better! 

5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #593695 by Troponin

garyrhook wrote: Standard convention: we don't post example edits without the express approval of the original photographer.

Had this happen to me and I was quite annoyed, but I was new and therefore didn’t say anything. The person editing my photo edited it quite heavily and completely changed what I was going for, as well as making me feel stupid and/or that my photo was in need of seriously heavy editing in order to save it. 

Even if someone was asking on tips on how to edit the photo, why on earth would someone completely change the entire mood and the entire purpose of the photo? 

These are a perfect example why It can cause some tension. Photos are very personal to us and it took someone doing it to me to realize this. I am kind of happy someone did it to me before I did it to someone else before learning this lesson. 

On a final note, I love that final edit someone did, however, I also appreciate when folks help give me ideas on how to correct the photo myself too. It made me also realize how important editing my own photos is and forced me to learn. Now, I absolutely love editing photos. I must edit them a few times before resting on a final result. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024