New black and white portrait

5 years 8 months ago #594922 by cwolfphoto
Hey guys, I´m back hehehe, what you guys think? I`ll love to heard some feedback and critique. Thank you.
Make: SONY
Model: ILCE-7M2
Lens: Sony FE 50mm F1.8 (SEL50F18F)
ISO: 250
Aperture: f/2.8
Shutter speed: 1/160 sec
Captured: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 22:32pm

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 8 months ago #594930 by garyrhook
Wonderful focus.

It's too dark.

Suggest you look at your histogram, and get some tones active in the upper mids, at least. Most of your pixels are below the midway point (on the histogram) and what is above peters out by 75%.

It's too dark. Try for black and white. Not just black and gray.

Here's a suggestion: I should be able to make out his ears in those shadows. On this image, i can't.

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #594933 by Nikon Shooter
This is a picture of a hoody that is worn by a man. If this is
what you wanted to show… well done! But I guess not.

If this is a picture of a man wearing a hoody, you're using,
IMO, the wrong tonal language… putting the accent at the
wrong place.

I do shoot in low tonal values — I love it — but I make sure
of the balance. I think the man is lit correctly but, in PP, I
would have darken the whole coat and hoody to lower the
mid tones values via an adjustment layer… not affecting the
BG! I like exploring low lights for theatrical moods! :)

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #594941 by cwolfphoto
Hi,
Garyrhook, thank you, and will do for the next photo, I´ll try to get a little bit more balanced picture.

Nikon Shooter, thank you!, I´ll try to do that.

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #595044 by garyrhook
Suggest looking at this as an example:

www.photographytalk.com/forum/people-pho...tre-costume-2#591755

Lots of "dark" here, but what is lit is lit well and easily seen. Note that the very deepest shadows at the bottom of the cloak are perhaps a bit too dark, but what matters is that the overall balance is excellent. Even though the mood is dark.

Make sure that we can see what you want us to look at, and make sure that the most important parts of the image are the brightest.

If you haven't yet, suggest some research into what matters when creating an image. After creating your composition, it comes down to brightness, contrast, color, mostly in that order. Use these to direct the eye of your viewer.

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #595082 by Bobby Mitchell
Nice pointers! 

5 years 8 months ago #595267 by Carl Mendez
Yeah. it's really too dark. 

5 years 8 months ago #595746 by Rohan Tushar
Can improve but a good start! 

5 years 8 months ago #595972 by Kelly Emery
:thumbsup:

5 years 8 months ago #596419 by cwolfphoto
Hi guys, thank you all for your feedback, it really meant a loot to me.

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #596693 by Higbee
Many photographers recommend focusing on the eyes when taking black and white portraits. When you ask your models to pose a certain way, make sure their eyes look bright and sparkly.

5 years 8 months ago #596712 by Nikon Shooter

Higbee wrote: Many photographers recommend focusing on the eyes when taking black and white portraits. When you ask your models to pose a certain way, make sure their eyes look bright and sparkly.

I must admit I do not understand and am puzzled 
by your reply, Higbee… would you explain please?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #598014 by Jin Hyuk Kwon
:judge:  Well done! 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024