New black and white portraits!!

5 years 8 months ago #599892 by cwolfphoto
Hi! Thank you for all your comments and critique, I really appreciated it. Here are a new black and white portraits, I want to know what you guys think or any critic or anything. Thank you!
Make: SONY
Model: ILCE-7M2
Lens: Sony FE 50mm F1.8 (SEL50F18F)
ISO: 400
Aperture: f/3.5
Shutter speed: 1/200 sec
Captured: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 16:01pm

ISO: 320
Shutter speed: 1/200 sec
Captured: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 13:29pm

ISO: 320
Aperture: f/4.0
Shutter speed: 1/160 sec
Captured: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 19:07pm
Model: ILCE-7RM3
Lens: FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
ISO: 200
Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
Captured: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 17:16pm

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 8 months ago #599893 by Nikon Shooter
Hi Carlos, here goes:

You got many things in the centre field with the first one in
terms of model direction but the devil hides in the details.
The hair on the shoulder is a bit messy, general contrast is
blocking the blacks as the whites are already kissing the me-
tallic recovery. I don't believe the shot needed the selective
colours on the eyes, the lips and the cigarette.

In the second take, the focus is on her shoulder for some rea-
son… was this what you really wanted?

The third is cool, great facial expression but tonally too flat —
read too little directional light.

… I got to run, have a good day…

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #599958 by Hannah Williams
The third shot is my pick!

5 years 8 months ago #600029 by garyrhook
#1: Just say "no" to selective color. It almost never adds anything to any image. The crop here is awkward because of the space behind her and which way she's facing. Space on the left, or she should be turned to our right.

#2: pretty nice. The light is nice, but I think the focus is on her shoulder? Eyes need light in any event.

#3: I rather like this. but the whites (eyes, teeth) need to be much brighter. Tonal range, and careful use of contrast would help this a lot.

#4. Overall too dark, and I don't care for the light here. It doesn't tell me a story, but I know this guy has one.

Photo Comments
5 years 8 months ago #600036 by razashaikh
Nice Set!

5 years 8 months ago #600063 by Monica Martinez
Number three is also my pick. 

5 years 7 months ago #600688 by Steve Rodriguez
Nice pointers! 

5 years 7 months ago #600921 by Bobby Mitchell
Good shots and nice pointers from Gary! 

5 years 7 months ago #602095 by Breanna Ellington
Nice series! 

5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #610925 by NewavaMike
I like # 3 also.  

Tonal range...…. :(

I keep hearing that phrase......
one day I will know what this means and how to change it in my own photos.  

But until then :banana:

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611066 by garyrhook

NewavaMike wrote: Tonal range...…. :(

I keep hearing that phrase......
one day I will know what this means and how to change it in my own photos.

No time like the present to start learning.

Tone is about luminosity. Forget color. Go read up on Ansel's zone system.

Here's the histogram of image #3:

The histogram shows you that the information in the image falls at the midpoint of luminosity and below. There's a few bright spots, but very few. Mostly this image is gray to black.

That is, almost always, unnecessary. We could using exposure adjustments, slide the data in the image upward, making everything brighter, and also spreading it out. Occupying more of the possible tonal range. Even if we only take the brightest bits and make them whiter, we'd be doing the image a favor. And we'd be adding contrast, which usually adds life to an image, and makes us want to look at it. (The eye is attracted to the brightest thing first, then the most constrasty.) So while this image has quite nice light, it lacks tonality. It comes across as dull.

The histogram gives you information about the range of brightness in your image. Contrast, exposure, shadows/hightlights, whites/blacks allow you to adjust all of that.

Every photographer should learn to see in black and white. Every serious photographer.

Photo Comments
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike
5 years 6 months ago #611108 by NewavaMike
So are you saying that histogram is something you adjust on your camera before you take the shot ? Couldn't you take that picture of the woman and change the "tonal range" even now after the shot has been taken, and balance it? Like make it more histogram friendly ?

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #611109 by NewavaMike

cwolfphoto wrote:

thanks cwolfphoto for the use of your beautiful woman shot.

And thanks Gary for your teaching input help.  I'm sure the thickness of my skull is going to make you wish you had said nothing :thx:

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611507 by garyrhook

NewavaMike wrote: So are you saying that histogram is something you adjust on your camera before you take the shot ? Couldn't you take that picture of the woman and change the "tonal range" even now after the shot has been taken, and balance it? Like make it more histogram friendly ?

No, the histogram on the camera helps you capture a properly exposed image. The histogram in your post-processing tool shows you how your manipulations affect the tonal range of the image, and help make decisions on the kinds of adjustments you might want.

On the camera it's reactive. In post it's proactive.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike
5 years 5 months ago #612152 by Sara Miles
Nice pointers! 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024