Silver Gelatin Printing for B&W photographs

1 year 1 month ago #629892 by DellOlioPhotography
Hello,

--PRINTING QUESTION---
I have a buyer who is interested in having my black and white photographs printed in the Silver Gelatin Print process. Is anyone familiar with this process, and if so, can you recommend a high quality printer in NYC? I am willing to explore out of the NYC area if need be, but would like to be able to visit if I choose, so prefer NYC. 

Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 1 month ago #629918 by garyrhook
I watched this a while back, but I don't recall if it's what you're looking for. But it's a lab, possibly quite good, and you get to see what they do:

Ted Forbes is worth following, btw.

Photo Comments

1 year 1 month ago #629983 by Breanna Ellington
This very interesting! 

1 year 1 month ago #630037 by kuzenski
Silver based photo printing is the only method we old folks used to have.  :-)  Back when the dinosaurs wandered the earth, all photos were printed on paper impregnated with silver halides;  it was basically the reverse of the film negative's process, coming out looking like the real world instead of the inverse (negative).

There are two basic divisions.  Resin-coated papers (RC) are much easier to work with; they dry faster and flatter than fibre prints, and they take much less washing time.

But the other type, fiber-based non-resin coated, silver fixed on paper, is IMO the most beautiful end product in all of photograhy.  Go to a museum and look at prints by Ansel Adams and Edward Weston and you'll see what I mean.

I use Adorama for all my printing; you could see if they can do what you want.

By  the way, I think it's a big compliment to your photographs that the client wants them in silver in a nearly permanent (and very beautiful) format--congratulations!

Photo Comments

1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #630064 by icepics
Was the photo shot on B&W film? so you'd have negatives? This process is done on photo sensitive paper in a darkroom by projecting light thru the negs in an enlarger. If not you'd need to see about getting digital negatives made.

Maybe try Soho Photo or ICP (International Center for Photography) as resources for labs that develop film and do 'wet' prints in photo chemistry. I send film out since there isn't a camera store close to me anymore; some places develop film but only do digital/inkjet prints from scans of the film. I use Dwayne's in Kansas since they still do 'wet' prints.

And yes, B&W film and photos done using this process seem to last indefinitely (decades at least) unless over time they're stored in heat, moisture, etc. because they tend to deteriorate under those conditions.

Edit - Maybe try www.filmphotographyproject.com , Michael & company are in NJ and they have a forum on their Flickr group page.

Sharon
Photo Comments

1 year 1 month ago #630285 by Adam Wilson
Very good points! 

1 year 1 month ago #630505 by Alyssa Briggs
:judge:

11 months 3 weeks ago #639545 by Carl Mendez
Nice tip! Learning. 

11 months 2 weeks ago #640658 by Steve Rodriguez
I have never done this before, looks very interesting. 

11 months 2 weeks ago #641012 by Sarit Kevesh
:judge:

10 months 4 weeks ago #643180 by Bobby Mitchell
Something I always wanted to try. 

10 months 3 weeks ago #643809 by Stephen Graham
Nice! Very informative!

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7S II might be almost five years old, but as you'll see in this Sony a7S II review, it still packs a mighty punch with a small price tag.

Mar 23, 2020

In this Nikon D780 review, learn about the D780's features, specs, video capabilities, and more. Also learn how to score a discounted price on a D780 and how you can extend your gear budget!

Mar 13, 2020

In the Sony a6000 vs Sony a6100 battle, which one comes out on top? One offers a lower price tag while the other has more updated features. Find out which camera is best for you in this buyer's guide.

Mar 13, 2020

The Canon EOS RP is an entry-level camera that has some excellent features. In this Canon EOS RP review, learn all about its pros, cons, features, price, and more!

Mar 03, 2020

Latest Articles

Shutterfly is a household name for photographic prints. In this Shutterfly metal print review, find out if this popular Shutterfly product is a must or if you should skip it.

Apr 06, 2020

The mirrorless vs. DSLR debate has raged for years. So which one is best for 2020? Find out in this camera gear comparison guide.

Apr 06, 2020

To create a vlog people want to watch, you need the right vlogging accessories. But you don't have to spend a fortune on accessories for vlogging...get some budget-friendly recommendations!

Apr 06, 2020

Mpix is a popular online printer. But the question is, are Mpix products like their metal prints worth the price? Find out in this Mpix metal print review!

Apr 03, 2020

Learning how to photograph your newborn might be easier than you think. With these newborn photography tips for parents, you'll be in position to take much-improved photos of your bundle of joy.

Apr 03, 2020

This best cameras for beginners 2020 list includes the best DSLRs for beginners and the best mirrorless cameras for beginners at affordable prices.

Apr 02, 2020

real estate photography business, improve your real estate photography business, tips for improving your real estate photography business, real estate photography business tips

Apr 01, 2020

Learning how to become a professional photographer might not be as hard as you think. With these tips on becoming a freelance photographer, you'll be able to get the process started more quickly.

Apr 01, 2020