Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 1 month ago #630922 by Nikon Shooter
What's in the pipe he's smoking?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #630983 by garyrhook
I think this is very good.

Super depth of field. The choice of focusing on his face was the right one. My eye wanders around to the chess pieces, the dark coat on the right, the bright light (window?) on the left, and then pops back to his eyes. The background is bit busy but not much to be done about that.

It's clear that, while he's puffing on his hooka, that he is considering his next move. So we know immediately what is happening.

The grain is appropriate for a B&W image. There is detail in the shadow; the blow-out is unfortunate, but very minor. I like the spread of tones in general.

I think you could dodge his face a bit, and add contrast. Brighten his eye sockets so we get more contrast there to reinforce the focus. And level it (because that's a Thing with me).

Congratulations on a very successful capture.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: NewavaMike
5 years 1 month ago #631020 by Rohan Tushar
Nice render! Love this shot. Good focus! 

5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #631039 by GaryA
You captured a moment ... you are telling a story ... Well done.  The face could use some dodging and contrast.  The horizon is a bit off-kilter, tipping slightly to the right.  Personally, I'd like it either level or a slightly more extreme angle (Dutch Angle) than in the photo.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 1 month ago #631044 by Nikon Shooter

GaryA wrote: You captured a moment ... you are telling a story ... Well done.  The face could use some dodging and contrast.  The horizon is a bit off-kilter, tipping slightly to the right

:agree:

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #631063 by NewavaMike
I am generally a straight horizon guy too, especially in any kind of water shot, but with this one I thought the tilted level of the shot added something to the story, since the game is one played all in straight lines (except for the knights) and also that this player is smoking a hookah pipe, it seemed right to have the lines just a bit off level.  I mean, who knows what he is smoking ?  I might be something that is changing his perspective.  :)  

As for dodging and contrast in his face well, the skill set has much room to grow ! 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #631117 by GaryA
"Slights" in photography usually don't work very well.  Example: Your crop on the head ... that was not a slight crop, but appears to be intentional, deliberate not cropped due to accidental and poor framing. It is an expression of your intent.  A slight cropping of the head would appear to be accidental and sloppy.  So too with the tilt ... My rule is when one shoots outside the box of normal composition, make sure the viewer understands that the composition/settings were intentional and an expression of the photog's vision. To my eye, your tilt is in that gray area between intentional and accidental. 

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.

5 years 1 month ago #631225 by NewavaMike

GaryA wrote: To my eye, your tilt is in that gray area between intentional and accidental. 

Now why do I love that so much ?  The viewer cannot decide between two resting places.  That gray area seems to me to be more valuable real estate than any of the other two possibilities.  It causes tension in the viewer.  Emotion maybe ? 

And I'm not saying I planned any of this.  It just came out this way :) 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #631227 by NewavaMike
Here's a cropped and straightened version.  
I can't say it's better.  Just different.  

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 1 month ago #631228 by Nikon Shooter

NewavaMike wrote: I can't say it's better.  Just different.

You can't? … well, I will.

When looking at a picture, one read the story as well
as the disturbing elements in the said picture. I think
this later version is better because no disturbances
are left, only the story! :P

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #631232 by NewavaMike
Yes, you are right.  And I agree which is I suppose, why I worked it to the cropped ending above.  
Still, there is something I love about seeing a wide view shot.  It's sort of like a "back up shot" but it's still in the picture. (instead of cropped out ).  

I like the expanded board play on the right.  That's where his eye is and that's also where a white queen is stationed. He is black and cannot move without giving her deep consideration. Cropping out the person sitting over there in black seemed like it had value.  On the left side that brilliant light with no lampshade on it is inflicting damage to the shot also with it's overpowering whiteness.  

Then again, these things almost seem to have a place in my thinking. This battle and game is a struggle between to colors.  Black and white, each with it's general or commanding officer.  The brilliance of that white light in one corner, and the blackness of the sweater wearer on the right is like the second ring in the pattern of the  black vs. white event happening here.  

I didn't plan it, I only saw the spark in the shot.  Still learning here 

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 1 month ago #631241 by GaryA
Mike ... be careful not to over-think the image. I was taught that there is little difference between a photograph and the written word, they are both forms of communications.  Don’t let the story get sidetracked down a rabbit hole, be careful of the sidebars.  A photo is a thousand words, not a trilogy of books.  Remember “KISS”, is your best friend.  I truly, truly appreciate all the subtle nuances you see ... but more often than not in communications, a hammer works better than needlepoint., a headline better than a poem.  You think like an artist ... a poet.  God Bless you.

5 years 1 month ago #631242 by GaryA
PS-  I like both images, the wide provides a global view of the board ... the plumbed image zero’s you into the action ... the meat of the photo.  Try giving the wide shot a bit more tilt ...

5 years 1 month ago #631392 by garyrhook
Actually, after seeing the square crop, I think you've not gone far enough. A portrait orientation that focuses on the him and the board (those two lines, for example) is all you need here.

But that's just me.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024